Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Part time live in Nanny?

(6 Posts)
lizzieannejames Thu 11-Apr-13 19:05:39

Do these exist? We only need childcare for 3 days (as I will only be returning to work T-T) and was wondering if a live in nanny would consider a PT role? She will obviously be able to have the room, board etc full time.

What sort of salary are we looking at- we are in East Croydon

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 11-Apr-13 19:43:17

I can't see why not. I think it would work best if you can offer quite seperate living arrangements though, otherwise she's going to be either in your space or in her room. I've done a live-in job, 4 days a week before and it was fine, but I had my own kitchen/sitting room etc so didn't need to be in their space.

Would you be happy for her (or him) to take another job on the 2 days they're not working for you?

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 11-Apr-13 19:53:39

part time nannies that live in are rare but doesnt mean cant find one

why do you want live in rather then live out?

as leeds said do you have extra space/living room/separate floor etc so if the nanny didnt work other days that she wouldnt be under your feet, or you her wink

AndBingoWasHisNameOh Fri 12-Apr-13 15:28:28

I've seen ads through agencies that are for live in but not full time. You'd have to be happy for them to work other days though for other families so even more important than ever to agree gross. What I would say though is that the cost saving live in v live out will be smaller for 3 days than 5 days so query if still makes it worthwhile for you to have someone living there full time for what you will save

Petitmonde Sat 13-Apr-13 13:20:56

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

fraktion Sat 13-Apr-13 18:15:47

We had a PT live in nanny and now have an au pair. The difference in calibre is noticeable but we only need wraparound care and she has him for an afternoon so they can go swimming or on an outing. There are some very capable au pairs out there but much harder to find, especially if you're recruiting by yourself.

As for our experience of a PT live in nanny it's essential they have plans for their days off, be that studying or another job. In our case the live in part was necessary as noone wanted a 6am start living out! It's not really a cost saver...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now