Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Ratios with assistants

(12 Posts)
Justanotherday Thu 11-Apr-13 12:59:33

I have two children aged 3 years and 6 years so that means I can have 2 more under 5's and two over 5's. With all the change and the talk of ratios increasing, I am just making sure that if I work with an assistant that I can still have those 4 children under 5's as long as the assistant is with me at all times. Thanks in advance.

nannynick Thu 11-Apr-13 13:02:21

Are you wanting 4 under 5, or are you saying you want more than 6 children in total?

Justanotherday Thu 11-Apr-13 13:37:45

No 2 of my own children and 4 under 5's so total 6 children

NickNacks Thu 11-Apr-13 13:39:55

It's not always automatically doubled, there are lots if variables. You need to contact ofsted regarding your particular case.

Brownowlahi Thu 11-Apr-13 15:39:10

Im slightly confused about this as I've been told (by another cm at the group i go to)as I have my own under 5 I could increase my ratios under the eyfs clause 3.40. This states that if the individual needs of all the children are being met, then exceptions to the usual ratios can be made when child minders are caring for sibling babies or their own baby. So, (although I haven't done it), does it mean that as one of the children is mine, I can have 4 in total under 5? It really isn't made that clear in the book and all Ofsted say is that they no longer discuss ratios with childminders. Does any one know about that? (And sorry to hijack, I just thought it was a similar question).

HSMMaCM Thu 11-Apr-13 15:44:39

It means if a CM gives birth, or an existing child has a new sibling who needs care. There is a bit more to it than that, but basically it is there to give continuity of care to existibg children.

However ... the government proposals would simply allow 4 under 5 in normal ratios, regardless of who they are.

Ratios with assistants depends on floor space and all sorts of other things.

minderjinx Sun 14-Apr-13 08:50:16

I would treat the government proposals to increase ratios with some caution. They are only proposals at this stage, and there has been a lot of opposition to them so who knows if or when they will actually be implemented, or what extra conditions may be attached. I have heard a lot of people planning on the basis that it WILL come in this September, but that is not certain, and a lot of families could be looking for other childcare if they are depending on this change.

HSMMaCM Sun 14-Apr-13 09:59:38

Agreed minderjinx. I'm not increasing my ratios whatever they say.

fraktion Sun 14-Apr-13 21:17:12

Truss said on Monday that they would be going through. Talk about stealth announcement on a day filled with other news....

minderjinx Mon 15-Apr-13 07:04:04

Thanks Fraktion, I didn't spot that.

fraktion Mon 15-Apr-13 07:35:12

https://www.pre-school.org.uk/get-involved/1276/rewind-on-ratios-latest-news

At least nurseries and childminders will be able to see it in the PLA magazine...

BitzerMalyoniAllSkinnyAndBony Mon 15-Apr-13 19:40:04

If you're looking at employing an assistant, this website has an resource pack with some useful documentation. Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now