Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Live-out to live-in

(12 Posts)
SuiGeneris Thu 11-Apr-13 07:19:08

Does anyone know what the average discount for room and board for a full-time nanny would be? I am aware the live in and live out markets are quite different in terms of candidates and hours worked, but a rough idea would be very helpful.

Background is that our existing live out nanny might turn live in for a few months (perhaps 3) and we are trying to work out whether her salary should be adjusted and if so by how much.

Trunchbull Thu 11-Apr-13 07:40:40

I think it depends on whether she is turning live-in for your benefit or hers, and whether she still has mortgage/ rent to pay on her home while she is living in.

Trunchbull Thu 11-Apr-13 07:43:16

And would also be useful to know the general area you are in and the hours she will be working - could you look on local agency websites to find out the going rate for live-in?

SuiGeneris Thu 11-Apr-13 08:45:24

It would be for her benefit (while she saves a bit and looks for a cheaper flat) and there would be no other change to her duties, except perhaps a fortnightly babysit. She currently works a 50-hour week in SW London and has just under two years' full-time experience. No qualifications but she is very good and we want to keep her happy so are only checking what the discount would be but have not yet decided whether to apply it or not.

AndBingoWasHisNameOh Thu 11-Apr-13 09:20:16

When I spoke to agencies late last year what I was told was standard in London for an experienced candidate (so perhaps more time on the clock than yours) was c£10pn net so on 50hpw so c£34,600 pa. Live in for 55-60 hours per week plus two evening babysits M-Th I was told £350 npw was a reasonable wage (although some want more) which is c£23,000.

I suspect though if you had that degree of drop your nanny may not be able to save as much as she imagines.

Trunchbull Thu 11-Apr-13 09:30:20

A quick look at SW London agencies suggests between £300 and £450 pw net (aarrghh that they quote net), so factor everything in - what she earns now, minus her current rent and travelling costs, then up it from there so she is saving money and you are getting the benefit of extra babysitting, while still falling within the going rate bracket. So, for example, if she is currently on £450 a week, and her rent, household bills and travel costs amount to £250 a week, maybe split the difference and offer £325 a week? £350 if you're happy with her and want to keep her? (Does that make sense?)

AndBingoWasHisNameOh Thu 11-Apr-13 11:43:50

PS - annual figure in my post were annual gross wage, didn't make this clear. I find the net expectations infuriating as in no other job do you state your expectations in accordance with take home pay.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 11-Apr-13 13:03:54

tell me about it bingo hmm yet still many agencies and nannies quote nett

op -tbh if your nanny is trying to save money and only going to be 2/3mths and you like her etc, i prob would keep her salary the same - its only food that will be an added expense to you

but yes maybe have a bs once a week to cover it, though also means if she does bs once a week, you and dh then go out and spend money

she will be able to save a huge amount and then move out quicker which prob will be beneficial to you both

SuiGeneris Thu 11-Apr-13 15:54:18

Blimey, 34k gross!

SuiGeneris Thu 11-Apr-13 17:53:23

Blondes, thank you, I think that us what we will do. But I remain staggered at 34-35k gross for a nanny with three years' experience. That is what a graduate trainee in a competitive City job gets and the hours are probably more antisocial. Am I the only one thinking some of these agencies live in cloud-cuckoo land (and/or foster salary inflation because their fees are directly proportional to the salaries commanded by their candidates)?

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 11-Apr-13 18:35:24

I think the £35k is what an experienced (old) lol nanny like me (21yr exp) can earn if work 5 days

Not someone with 3yrs exp but yes it is a good salary but also don't forget to earn that we generally work 12hr days and prob 13+ I you add travel to and from work

Leaving your house at say 6.30am and not getting in till 7.30pm is hard

SuiGeneris Thu 11-Apr-13 19:37:59

Blondes: thank you for the clarification. 35k for someone with 20 years' experience I buy, I struggled with 3 years, though.

I agree 13 hour days are long, but in the jobs I was comparing this to 60 hour weeks, without commuting (that is your own time), were actually considered quite decent. A long time ago I did 6 months of 100-hour weeks and was paid quite a lot less than 35k.

But thanks again for the input, it has helped my thinking a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now