Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au Pair questions

(6 Posts)
DIYapprentice Wed 10-Apr-13 23:58:08

Trying to find an au pair at the moment. I've put up an ad and am trying to vet some of the first contacts. Bit nervous about it as my last attempt at getting an au pair ended in disaster - she was downright negligent and I had to send her home.

Does anyone have a list of initial questions they ask potential au pairs for the first sorting?

WouldBeHarrietVane Thu 11-Apr-13 00:04:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NoRoomForMeInMyBed Mon 15-Apr-13 18:48:31

Can I hijack thread please? (Sorry OP but it might be helpful to you maybe too)

We have our first au pair arriving shortly, found her on aupair world and have emailed and skyped. Do you usually ask to see references from potential applicants?

Also I have booked her in to do a 2 day pediatric first aid course her first week, is there anything else I should arrange?

Finally what do you experienced au pair parents do re mobile phones!? Is there a contract esp good for keeping in contact with home without running up huge bills!?!!

DIYapprentice Mon 15-Apr-13 21:49:16

Hijack away! grin

I'm about to have some Skype interviews now, so am interested in what people say.

blueshoes Mon 15-Apr-13 22:52:21

Almost all aupairs come with their own mobile phones and laptops even. I would help them to get a contract if necessary and put a token amount on to start them off but the rest is up to them. If I call them, they don't incur charges. If they need to get in touch, they usually text me or I ask them to use the home phone. I don't generally need constant contact with my aupair but if you want frequent real time updates outside the home, then it would be fair for you to contribute to their mobile charges.

After a few not so wonderful experiences, I now only hire aupairs with previous aupair experience. That way, I know I am getting someone who understands the role and is not too hung up on the 'member of the family' label. Also, more crucially, I insist on getting the telephone number of their previous aupair family and asking them about the aupair.

I find it is better to speak to the host mother than host father, as the 2 dads I spoke to were either deluded or did not want to criticise and I ended up with an aupair that was not particularly good. The host mothers were to the point and absolutely spot on.

fedupwithdeployment Tue 16-Apr-13 13:24:01

Go with your gut feeling would be my main advice. We have used an agency, and have therefore not done so much vetting. After 8 APs, we have a good idea of the things that work / don't work for us, and so concentrate on those areas in the interview.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now