Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nanny costs - inexperienced nanny, or nanny share

(5 Posts)
mrsnif Wed 10-Apr-13 17:40:18

hi - i am looking at nanny options in E11 where we live. from what i can tell the going rate for an experienced nanny in our area is about 10/hour.

however i am talking with one candidate who is 21 years old and while experienced at nurseries and with full credentials, she doesn't have sole nanny experience. does anyone have advice on how much less to pay someone like this?

i also am talking with another nanny who will be bringing her child along; this nanny has about 10 years experience but as it's a nanny share should be under the 10/hour market rate. again, i'd love any advice on what to pay.

thanks for any tips!

nannynick Wed 10-Apr-13 18:18:40

What salary were they on at nursery? Offering something between what they got at nursery and what they would get after a years nannying experience may be a starting point. Then over time increase the salary, otherwise they could use your job to step into something else once they have the nannying experience.

Nanny bringing own child has been discussed on here several times, perhaps look up some of the old message threads. From what I recall, some consider the salary should be lower, whilst others feel it should be the same. Think for those who felt it should drop, the drop was 25%-40%, so variable.

10 an hour may be Net (take home pay) but as employer you should think in terms of Gross salary. When discussing salary, make sure you are both talking about the same thing, Gross pay ideally.

OutragedFromLeeds Wed 10-Apr-13 18:51:43

For a young/inexperienced nanny I'd say about £8ph.

A nanny with own child does not usually have the same terms as a nanny-share. With a nanny-share you would pay 50% of the nannies wages (whilst the other family pay the other 50%), when a nanny brings their own child the reduction is less usually 20%ish, maybe more depending on terms/number of children etc.

mrsnif Wed 10-Apr-13 22:36:05

thanks for the replies - does anyone know what a worker at a nursery might be on? (RE: the idea of 'meeting her half way' on salary). because the thing is, from the feedback here, it could cost basically the same amount for the young/inexperienced nanny (approx £8/hour) as the experienced one with her her child (20% off of £10/hour is £8...). and yes i do need to look at the whole net/gross thing but realise there are other posts on this subject so won't repeat that here.

nannynick Wed 10-Apr-13 22:44:36

16,000 perhaps. Have a look on sites like Greatcare for what nurseries are currently offering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now