Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny with own child, experience, advice?

(6 Posts)
Ablababla Wed 10-Apr-13 16:43:52

Currently looking for a nanny for the first time and finding the experience a bit stressful! have found a promising candidate locally who wants to bring her own child who is roughly a year older then my 14 month old and a year younger than my oldest. I think it might work out well as I think my baby could really benefit from interaction with other children and it could save us a bit of money.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this. I'm not sure if there are any Health and Safety / employers liability issues I should be considering. also what sort of deduction from the wage would be fair. The going rate in SW London seems to be about £12 gross per hour and I'm not sure what sort of offer to make.

Any advice gratefully received!

HappyAsEyeAm Wed 10-Apr-13 20:35:13

I started two threads about the same thing about three weeks or so ago. One asked about salary, the other asked about things I should bear in mind. Do a search under my username and you should see them - I got som very useful advice and opinions.

Ablababla Wed 10-Apr-13 21:06:33

Brilliant, thanks very much. Hope your situation worked out.

Trying2bMindful Sat 13-Apr-13 23:33:35

We are paying gbp7 per hour gross to our nanny who brings her own child. In SW London.
The only advice I have is to watch her v carefully before you hire & make sure your parenting styles are in line with one another.
Our arrangement is not working v well....!

Jacksterbear Mon 15-Apr-13 17:46:32

Both nannies I've had have brought their own child with them. The first one, we thought was ok at the time, but in retrospect it was causing my DS a lot of stress and he was quite unhappy - he got on really well with the little girl in some ways BUT they were like siblings and constantly fighting. The little girl our current nanny has is much more calm and placid, and both my DCs love her to bits - she is a calming influence and they love having her around. So it depends a lot on the child as well as the nanny! I'd say it's worth having a couple of play-dates with any nanny you are thinking of hiring to get an idea how your DCs will get on.

Re salary, we have paid between £7-£8 gross ph for our nannies and the going rate around here is around £10, so at least a 20% reduction.

Re employers' liability insurance - check your house & contents insurance which probably already covers you.

tumbletumble Mon 15-Apr-13 17:52:28

My best friend has done this and it has worked well for her (her DS is younger than my friend's DCs). I think it makes the nanny more loyal, as she will think twice about moving on and disrupting her own child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now