Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Before and After school Nanny

(12 Posts)
freetrait Wed 10-Apr-13 16:28:44

Hi there,
I am going back to work in September and am starting to think about childcare. Ideally I would like a Nanny/carer to look after my kids (4 and 6, will be nearly 5 and nearly 7) in our home, do the school run, and take them to one or two local after school activities.

The hours would be something like 7.15-8.45 and 3.15-5.00/5.30pm. 4 or 5 times a week. So... it's not a lot of hours but I am very keen to find someone rather than them going to a childminder (childminders are really hard to find in this area anyway, they are all very full).

Just looking for tips on finding someone really, or issues I should consider. So far I have found a couple of websites where I have advertised but the people coming forward are not local and often haven't read the hours I need and wouldn't be able to do them.

hmmmmm, any tips for advertising locally and who I should be attracting for this rather part-time role- am happy to pay the going rate/a bit more to attract someone. What is the going rate anyway?

nannynick Wed 10-Apr-13 17:35:40

It is not that many hours so it will not suit many. What about school holidays - would it be more hours then?

Maybe it would suit someone with their own young child/children. Consider logistics of getting children to/from school and after-school activities.

Salary varies, generally I say around the £10 gross per hour mark, more in a city, possibly less in some rural areas. Experience level of the person may be a factor. Decide on a figure you want to offer and offer it, see who applies at that salary level.

Try a local advert in a shop window, local newsletter/magazine, school newsletter/ptfa newsletter, local section of mumsnet and netmums.

Runoutofideas Wed 10-Apr-13 17:37:05

How about a childcare student? Any colleges nearby? Then they'd be free to go off and study in the daytime. Your children are not so tiny that they'd need someone hugely experienced, I would guess. I know of an older lady with grown up children who does these sort of hours for a family as she prefers to have her daytimes free.

freetrait Wed 10-Apr-13 20:12:51

Thanks both. Good points. Forgot to say, no, it's term time only as I'll be teaching. Yes, I thought of an older lady, but wondered if such a person would be up for early mornings! Will think about childcare students, thanks.

oftengrumpy Wed 10-Apr-13 21:58:07

Could you use a breakfast club before school and just have a nanny after school? Although that's less hours it might then appeal to someone who worked in a nursery looking to top up there hours. When I was looking for after school care there seemed to be lots of nursery workers doing this sort of thing.

oftengrumpy Wed 10-Apr-13 21:59:19

Their not there blush

PhyllisDoris Wed 10-Apr-13 22:02:14

Au pair?

freetrait Wed 10-Apr-13 22:12:20

No breakfast club at our school. Thought about au pair, but would prefer not to have someone living in.

DIYapprentice Wed 10-Apr-13 22:50:15

It's a difficult position to fill, and lots of people are offering those hours. To get someone you would probably need to pay a higher rate per hour, or go down the au pair route.

emanuela Fri 12-Apr-13 18:45:48

Hi, I had the same problem and I found it nearly impossible to solve until I hired two nannies, one for before and one for after school.

There are quite a few nannies looking for afternoons only and others looking for early mornings (as they go to other jobs that start late).

Believe me, it is a winner...

freetrait Fri 12-Apr-13 18:57:01

Thanks! Fab tip. Will try that definitely!

freetrait Tue 16-Apr-13 09:31:01

Hi, back again. Emanuela where is the best place to advertise? I have my two adverts now (before and after school). You can message me if you prefer- it would be very helpful indeed to know how you went about finding people- online/notices/word of mouth etc. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now