Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CMs - How long after your Ofsted home visit did it take to become fully registered?

(6 Posts)
NotAnotherNewNappy Wed 10-Apr-13 10:49:08

I am trying to understand what step this is in the process. If somebody has all their papers in order (e.g. CRB check, first aid, CM qualifications), is this the last tick in the box or are there more hoops to go through?

TIA

Suzycb Wed 10-Apr-13 11:20:29

I waited till I received my ofsted certificate for parent to see & also my parents needed my no. to claim Childcare vouchers. While waiting just ensure that all core training are done though it appears u done yours. (First aid, safeguarding/child protection/food hygiene), the other trainings your childminding rep will be able to send you training brochure.

mamamaisie Wed 10-Apr-13 15:18:13

You can call Ofsted and ask what is still outstanding on your application. This is what I did when I was registering and they were very friendly. They won't be able to give you any set dates but they can let you know if they are still waiting for any paperwork. The main things that can delay the application are the crb check, the references from past employers/friends/etc. and following up any issues on your medical report. Once all the paperwork is done and you have had the Ofsted visit you should get the certificate pretty quickly. smile

NotAnotherNewNappy Wed 10-Apr-13 15:39:25

Thanks for replying. I am actually the parent and my prospecitive CM is awaiting her visit - but (I think) has everything else in place. It is v frustrating as (I believe) she has everything else in place.

How bad would it be to set up an 'extending settling in' period with somebody who was awaiting registration?

nannynick Wed 10-Apr-13 17:43:20

Local police, local social services, also for anywhere they have lived in past 5 years (so if lived in lots of places, there can be delays). Health check with the doctor.
Pre-reg inspection visit, once that is done, then it may take a couple of weeks, if everything else has cleared.

The timescale varies, there is nothing you can do as a parent to speed things along and nothing the childminder can do either except to keep reminding Ofsted that they exist. About 10 years ago now, when I processed applications I would remember people I got calls from frequently, so would check daily for their cleared checks coming through on the computer system. Some people were easy to process, others took a long time due to varying things, sometimes just because a social services department somewhere in the country had a backlog on doing the forms. I do not know the system used now but it could well be the same, so there are various checks that go on which can delay things.

nannynick Wed 10-Apr-13 17:45:21

Your prospective childminder should be careful not to breach childcare regulations whilst they await registration. Perhaps they could do some care Outside of their home - if it ever stops raining/snowing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now