Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What to do when nanny doesn't work a contracted day due to child sicknessh

(8 Posts)
DollyDaisy Mon 08-Apr-13 23:09:18

Hi
Our DC was ill over the weekend whilst we were staying away with friends. Instead of coming home I decided to stay away and come back tonight - therefore taking today as an emergency day off work

Our nanny does Monday - Weds so obviously didnt work today. Does this mean she owes us a day or that we just have to write it off?

This has never been an issue before so just wanted to check (although I think I know the answer) Thanks

ReallyTired Mon 08-Apr-13 23:14:14

Your nanny was prepared to work and it was you who decided to stay with friends. It is not her fault that you and your child were not at home. You should pay her for the day that she did not work.

I hope your children are feeling better.

K8Middleton Mon 08-Apr-13 23:17:16

She was available to work so you have to pay her if she is contracted for mon-wed. Unless your contract expressly states something different in the case of your child's sickness or changes to regular weekly hours.

Imagine if your boss said not to bother coming to work on Monday and then expecting you to come in on Saturday instead when you had a full time contract mon-fri. You'd expect to be paid wouldn't you?

fridayfreedom Mon 08-Apr-13 23:17:42

When I childminded if the child wasn't available for a day I would normally have worked I would have been paid for that day. Unless of course it was out of the agreed holiday period. Otherwise I would lose pay for not my fault. If I was sick and not available I would not get paid. As your nanny was available to work you should pay her.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 08-Apr-13 23:47:43

As the others said you decided to stay away and nanny was willing and able to go In as usual

So needs to be paid

Hope your dc is feeling better

moogy1a Tue 09-Apr-13 08:41:43

I agree. She has to be paid

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 09-Apr-13 13:08:21

You need to pay her as normal. She was available, you decided not to use her.

happychappy Fri 12-Apr-13 09:37:13

As everybody else said, your decision not hers therefore you need to pay her. She could have come in an helped you if you wanted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now