Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Live-out nanny becoming live-in nanny

(7 Posts)
Amberbop Mon 08-Apr-13 11:21:54

Our wonderful (live-out) nanny is changing her living arrangements and has suggested becoming a live-in nanny. Has anybody made this transition? Do you need a separate living space to make this work, or does a spare room and 2nd bathroom suffice? And how much of a pay cut are we looking at? She is currently on £26k. many thanks for sharing your experiences!

nannynick Mon 08-Apr-13 15:36:28

Room plus bathroom I expect would be fine.

Salary wise, could you say how many hours per week they are working for 26k and is that a gross or net pay figure?

Amberbop Mon 08-Apr-13 15:41:16

Thanks Nick.
26k is her gross salary. She is working 50 hours a week.

nannynick Mon 08-Apr-13 17:10:22

So about £500 a week. Not sure how you would work out how much to offer for live-in. Suppose you come up with a figure then see what they would agree to, such as £400? Or were you expecting more of a drop in salary than that?

pinkpeony Mon 08-Apr-13 17:53:47

Most live-in nannies will work 12 hours/day as they don't have to commute (so 60 hours/wk), and babysit a couple of nights a week as part of their salary. Would she be willing to do that? Also, you normally provide her food, which you could do either by including her in the family groceries or giving her a food allowance. So there is a pay cut, but your living expenses may go up a little too. Best to agree all of these things in advance.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 08-Apr-13 20:29:07

does your nanny reliese you will be cutting her pay, fair enough that you are and obv she wont have rent/household bills to pay now

and that you may ask her to bs 1/2 times a week for free

depends what she is like/does at weekends, being in a bedroom all day isnt great, so an extra living space is fab if you have one, then again she may be out lots/stay with friends/partner if has one

again good to talk about it first

Amberbop Mon 08-Apr-13 20:34:40

I guess I was assuming there would be a big difference in pay to offset the fact of sharing our home. We don't need 12hours care per day, (although the babysitting would be nice), so I'm concluding that this arrangement is probably not for us. Thanks for your thoughts, it's been helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now