Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

had my inspection

(17 Posts)
moogy1a Sat 06-Apr-13 08:10:15

After some tossbag made a ridiculous complaint about me ( reports that a child had been taken from a playgroup door to my car with no shoes on) I had OFSTED out to do a full inspection yesterday.
Really pleased with it, got good which is apparently a lot harder to get since September.

Anyone want any tips or pointers as to what they look for now, ask away.

doughnut44 Sat 06-Apr-13 09:14:25

Have some people got nothing better to worry about? I am presuming the child in question was not walked barefoot through a car park full of debris

moogy1a Sat 06-Apr-13 09:22:29

I have my own special punishments involving barefoot toddlers walking in snow that cunningly hides shards of glass.
I have no idea wtf she was on about to be honest. There was lots of confused from me and she agreed it all seemed a bit mad.. I'm guessing I either carried child to the car without shoes and someone took exception, or ( more likely) small child lost a shoe whilst walking and took a couple of steps before I noticed.
It was obviously such a minor incident I don't even remember a specific shoe related disaster. And everyone knows kids never have shoes / hats / gloves come off

doughnut44 Sat 06-Apr-13 09:27:21

I can'tbelieve ofsted wasted theirs and your time. Nice to see that our registration fees pay for a complete waste of time x

MaryPoppinsBag Sat 06-Apr-13 20:02:18

Well done on your good grading!

Did Ofsted come unannounced? Or did you get some notice?

What did the inspector focus on?

Cheers smile

MUM2BLESS Sat 06-Apr-13 21:22:24

Congratulations to you, well done for getting good.

Sorry it was those circumstances!!

I am waiting for Ofsted tell me more......... what they looked at, what they asked.... anything thanks

MUM2BLESS Sat 06-Apr-13 21:22:54

Should have wrote under those circumstances.....

Suzycb Sun 07-Apr-13 09:53:11

Congratulations!
I noticed that in my area almost all other childminders inspectors focused much more on particular area. E.g. Mine focused on documenting everything not just telling her, she says. My experience over the years it doesn't matter how prepared you're they're very different. We received Tribal who work on behalf of Ofsted.

NoHank Sun 07-Apr-13 09:55:37

This is my biggest fear to be honest. Someone making a false or negative report to Ofsted. It leaves you feeling very vulnerable and as a self employed lone worker.

Well done on getting through it and your good grading moogy1a

moogy1a Sun 07-Apr-13 10:50:16

Thanks everyone. It's a huge relief.
She 'phoned last Thursday and wanted to come there and then to do a full inspection; as in "will you be in in half an hour", but I said my early years lo was just off to nursery and she agreed to put it off till Friday
Points that stick in my mind are:
I do an obs / assessment about every 3 months. 1 side of a4 listing key points under the various headings. At the bottom I write comments that parents have said. Must admit I was a bit nervy that this wasn't enough, but she loved it. Said there is no point in writing reams of stuff and doing obs. every week. It's all about relevance not the quantity.
Very hot on emphaisising that they judge on quality of teaching. She used the word teaching about 5 times. Need to be able to show progression, so have a starting assessment with what they can do when they start, and the obs. and assessments I do every 3 months are then the review / update of what they can do.
planning, I said I don't normally write it down, but as she was coming, I wrote what I was doing for each mindee. so eg. 24 month old showing an interest in using the potty, so will buy her her own soon, and read the princess and the potty book etc. Again, she thought this was good and you don't need to do any more than that.
Working in partnership: very keen on this. i had a questionnaire from each parent but told her I don't bother sending obs. back to parents to write on as they don't usually get round to doing it, hence why I just write comments I remember them saying. That was fine.
Working with nursery, again, on each obs/ assessmnet each 3 months I write down what nursery have said. I also had a copy of the nursery newsletters and told her about the nursery class online page which is updated every couple of weeks. More than enough according to her and very impressed i got so much from them

moogy1a Sun 07-Apr-13 10:56:24

I didn't think it was a huge amount, but I emphasised how much I talk to the nursery .

She was very keen to see that I knew each child well and exactly what they can do and what I'm encouraging them to do next.
I'm sure there's loads more so if you have a specific thing you're unsure about, I'll try and wrack my brains to remember!!
Was very pleased it wasn't all about paperwork, but you are expected to really know the children,
if anyone is still debating how to organise their paperwork, I'm happy to show you what to do as it was apparently OK! ( as long as you're happy to get a "good" not outstanding!!)

moogy1a Sun 07-Apr-13 10:59:10

as Suzy says though, my approach of not lots of paperwork could go horribly wrong with a different inspector!

moogy1a Sun 07-Apr-13 11:02:45

Oh, and unfounded complaints are now not noted seperatly. So if the complaint is unfounded, they will just incorporate into your inspection report positive lines which address the complaint.
ie. in my report it will say something like "keeps the children safe by ensuring approprita clothing and footwear is worn".

If the complaint IS upheld there will be a sperate section after your report detailing the actions taken etc/

Brownowlahi Sun 07-Apr-13 16:48:22

Hi, really pleased you did well, but just wanted to comment, I had my inspection in December and she wanted to see paperwork, paperwork, paperwork. It was almost as if it wasn't written down, she didn't believe I had done it. (Which obviously isn't the case, I do loads of things I don't write down and don't assess or plan for every single thing my children do every day). So in the case of my inspector she wanted to see everything written down. But as you said, she was also keen to know that I knew exactly where each child is in the eyfs.

Fightlikeagirl Sun 07-Apr-13 18:08:39

Really useful info moogy1a, thank you.
And well done on your grading, smile

fudgesmummy Sun 07-Apr-13 18:17:15

Well done on your good grading-now you can go out with your head held high to show who ever decided to try and get you in trouble that you have been completely cleared by ofsted. I know how good that feels believe me.

Ps-you have made discussion of the day....RESPECT!!!!!!!

nokidshere Sun 07-Apr-13 22:38:58

Bliny I hope the person who reported you doesn't live near me - the two year old I mind strips off at every opportunity, inside or out lol grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now