Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Cm with assistants

(5 Posts)
wednesdaygirl Sat 06-Apr-13 03:55:36

List me all the good and bad
Need inside veiws and real life stories
Thinking of taking on a assistant

Thank you so so much smilesmilesmile

calmlychaotic Sat 06-Apr-13 08:54:06

Good points
adult conversation
Shared workload, they can do paperwork, planning etc, although you have more children its not double the work
you can nip to the loo/make dinner/do bit of housework whatever while they watch the kids
can earn more
more ideas for activities
if you are suffering with massive cold you can let them pretty much takeover while you feel sorry for yourself
I couldn't cope without mine

bad points
if they call in sick you have too many kids, you could have to turn people away or get last minute cover.
If you go on holiday you still have to pay their wages and if you don't charge parents for your holidays you can be very out of pocket
you need to pay them for their holidays and pay someone else to cover for them
if you don't get on with them its a lot of time to spend with someone.
Their workplace is your home so you need to be comfortable about letting someone else be at home in your home if that makes sense!

doughnut44 Sat 06-Apr-13 09:10:47

I think it turns a minders into a mini nursery unless it is a family member who lives with you.

calmlychaotic Sun 07-Apr-13 23:10:31

I agree actually, when I was on my own it was more like I was just getting on with my normal life with my own ds with a couple of extra kids in tow. Now its more structured, we have to be. Louder and busier too! We tend to have 2-3 year olds. We appeal less to someone who wants a quiet homely place for a tiny baby. Still you'll never suit everyone, parents have chosen my setting because they say it is a cross between a cm and a nursery, other people have decided not to use me for the same reason.

wednesdaygirl Mon 08-Apr-13 09:16:19

Hmmm big desistion then

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now