Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Unemployed parents to become childminders?

(9 Posts)
nannynick Fri 05-Apr-13 22:06:02

CYPNOW are reporting that PACEY and Barnardo's are to run something called The ABC Pathway Programme (can't find any info on the programme, maybe CYPnow have got hold of info that was not yet meant to be public?).

Anyone know anything about this ABC Pathway thing? Is this the way that Government can increase the number of childcare places and get some people off the unemployment books at the same time?

Training will be delivered via e-learning according to the article... wonder how that will change what Ofsted accept in terms of training. Think the wording is "a course approved by the local authority" so if the local authority approves the e-learning course, then I guess Ofsted accept it. Wonder under what circumstances the local authorities would NOT approve the e-learning course? Wonder if this will mean that there will be more use of e-learning, especially if one particular course is approved across England (maybe even the entire UK).

MrAnchovy Sat 06-Apr-13 02:27:40

(can't find any info on the programme, maybe CYPnow have got hold of info that was not yet meant to be public?)

Yes, as I understand it Barnardo's and PACEY haven't actually signed up to this yet and are still finalising details.

Is this the way that Government can increase the number of childcare places and get some people off the unemployment books at the same time?

Yes, this was a dual objective that was stated last summer.

Training will be delivered via e-learning according to the article... wonder how that will change what Ofsted accept in terms of training.

Why do you assume it is intended that these childminders will be registered with Ofsted? Reading between the lines I think this is one of the details that has not yet been agreed. In practice however, many LAs already approve PACEY e-learning courses, as well as those of other providers.

nailak Sat 06-Apr-13 02:28:50

in practice many homes are not suitable to be used as childminding premises as they are already overcrowded for the families own kids.

Tanith Sat 06-Apr-13 07:47:58

Unemployed parents are already able to register as childminders. I find it difficult to see how this is any different unless they are proposing to relax standards and actually force people to become childminders in order to get them off benefits.

If that's the proposal, then I'm absolutely appalled. Quite apart from the contempt it shows to childminders (after all any fool can do it, can't they Ms. Truss? hmm), expecting angry, resentful people to look after other parents' children is a recipe for disaster.
It also completely ignores (again!) Cathy Nutbrown's recommendations for a well qualified childcare sector.

AThingInYourLife Sat 06-Apr-13 07:54:03

I often think how much I'd like my children to be cared for by unwilling people who had been forced into it.

fraktion Sat 06-Apr-13 10:05:39

I think this is utterly insane, it smacks of workfare only you'll be SE so it's your own fault if you don't earn money.

Tanith Sat 06-Apr-13 10:58:02

Lone unwilling people who've been forced into it, Athinginyourlife! That's frightening. I suspect they won't be self-employed, though. This could be how they propose to staff the agencies.

Many people have come off benefits and into childcare with varying degrees of success. You have to want to do it and to have the capacity to care for and love other people's children in order to do it well.

A few hours in front of a computer isn't going to train these people adequately, either. They're not learning to look after little robots, after all. Sharing experience and ideas with other childminders is one of the most helpful aspects of training.

Booyhoo Sat 06-Apr-13 11:04:13

umm, just a thought. people need to have jobs in order to require the use of a CMer. this might increase childcare places (for standard 8-6 hours) and reduce the unemployment figures but unless they are also training a shitload of other people to do other jobs aswell then the CMers will find themselves twiddling their thumbs and still having to claim something.

maybe it's just my part of the country (NI) but CMers here have been steadily reducing their rates, giving up CMing and looking for WOH. lots of unemployment in the construction industry means lots of men at home so no need for CMers til the work picks up again. (or something else comes up)

littlebitofthislittlebitofthat Sat 06-Apr-13 12:56:45

well, i'm already bordering on giving up 'cos I cant get enough clients to make my bills.

I agree with Booyhoo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now