Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Question about schematic play

(4 Posts)
blueberryupsidedown Fri 05-Apr-13 16:30:53

I'm a childminder and I look after a little girl who is 12 months old. She is going through what I think is a phase of schematic play of emptying absolutely everything. Cupboards, every possible toy box, box of wooden cubes, boxes of plastic toys, boxes of stickle bricks, etc all day long. My playroom looks like a war zone within 15 minutes of her arrival. Her attention span for each object is about half a second, maybe a second if the toy makes a noise. I have tried treasure basket but her attention is simply on emptying it, not exploring the toys. I know that schematic play is normal and it's a phase, but it's difficult to manage as all I do is filling up the boxes again (talking to her obviously, about what object goes in which box, colours, etc) but she seems to only be happy when she throws things around. Otherwise all other behaviour is spot on for her age. Please reassure me that this is just a phase, and that it will pass (soon) as I running out of boxes and space...

doughnut44 Fri 05-Apr-13 17:32:10

Even if that is schematic play I would stop her doing it with so many boxes. Just offer her one or two at the most. I have a two year old whodoes this and it is a nightmare. I know play is important but safety is too and toys all over the floor is dangerous. Children need to tidy away after themselves. They can only play with one set of toys at a time x

doughnut44 Fri 05-Apr-13 17:35:44

I have also found that the more that is on offer the less the children play with. Too much choice will affect their attention span as something else always looks better. I always liken it to choosing a bar of chocolate - if I am in a big sweet shop I can't choose from the vast array of chocolate but if I am in a tuck shop with a limited choice it is easy to make a decision if you see what I mean x

HSMMaCM Sun 07-Apr-13 01:06:30

Big tub of water or sand, so she can empty containers over and over again. You are right to support it, but she also needs to know the boundaries (next box can be emptied once this one is refilled maybe).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now