Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

do I ask current employer for reference?

(4 Posts)
gruffaloshild Fri 05-Apr-13 10:15:57

Hi I work part time as a nanny on the weekends and I have recently been offered a job during the week for only 6 hours over two weekday afternoons.
I emailed my current employer to tell her this and reassure her that the hours wont clash at all with what I do for them.
The question is.. do I need a reference from my current employer (I don't really want to use them as a reference) and I have four great refs from my four previous jobs.
Thanks

DIYapprentice Fri 05-Apr-13 12:04:53

You NEED as much as your potential new employer wants. So if they're happy with the four previous jobs, that's enough. If they want a reference from your current employer, then you will have to give a good reason as to why you won't/can't provide it, or you will have to hand it over. If the four previous ones are relatively recent, I would go with the assumption that it's fine unless they specifically ask for your current one.

USUALLY if you are in a position which you will have to leave for a new job future employers aren't fussed about a reference from the last employer because they would understand the dififculty that would cause - if you weren't offered the new job you could still lose your old job as a result of them knowing you are job hunting. But your situation isn't like that.

gruffaloshild Fri 05-Apr-13 12:42:36

thanks, I just know this family tend to overreact so asking for a ref could be awkward (even though Ive worked for them for three years) they feel they kind of own me but last year they cut my hours down becaus ethey said they felt I was too tired doing the long hours.

I agreed to this at the time but now I find, financially I can't cope on this amount so they don't have a right to complain about my hunting for a top up job.

Karoleann Fri 05-Apr-13 13:41:58

I wouldn't ask for a written reference, but provide a number that they could contact your current employer on.

As long as your other 4 written refs are contactable and good then even if that reference isn't so good over the phone, its probably fine.

As an employer, I would be more worried about a poor punctuality or sickness record than someone maybe being a bit tired as they were working too long at the weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now