Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Shall I say something or not?

(15 Posts)
SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Thu 04-Apr-13 20:58:31

My current nanny job is term time only - I was asked to do 4 mornings paid overtime. Then 2 days before the 1st morning she texts saying only need 1 morning stating the Monday one she needed as the children were going to Nans. All agreed. Then get a text late yesterday night saying she needs to swap to Friday morning - all ok.

Tonight I text one of the Mums from school to arrange play date etc to then be told that she had my charges today as mum boss wanted free childcare.

Not only have I been messed around but lied to aswell. Shall I say something

ReetPetit Thu 04-Apr-13 21:13:50

i would, yes. what a cheek! some people want it all ways....

november12mum Thu 04-Apr-13 21:44:41

Yes,I think you should....I know I would

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 04-Apr-13 22:01:54

I don't know what you can say really? You could maybe mention the messing you around bit. I don't think that what she does with the children on her time is any of your business though i.e. if she sends them on a pladate with another mum or sends them to their nans, it makes no difference to you and you are not entitled to be informed that her plans have changed (unless that change effects you obviously).

I understand it's annoying if you'd been counting on the overtime, but who isn't trying to save money where they can in this economic climate?!

SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Thu 04-Apr-13 22:11:07

Was counting on the overtime and she knew that. Just really annoyed as it was all agreed

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 04-Apr-13 22:17:50

It is bad form to let you down like that. What will you say to her?

SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Thu 04-Apr-13 22:31:11

Thinking that I might just say that I had to change plans repeatedly to suit her and I'm not happy about it.

As for the lying I might say that eldest charge mentioned they both went to 'y's' house yesterday and I thought they were going to Nans house

nannynick Thu 04-Apr-13 23:30:53

Sort out the overtime issue, come to an agreement that if overtime is scheduled, if it gets cancelled with less than x hours notice, then you still expect to be paid. They may not go with that but it sounds like you need them to realise that whilst you will do overtime you do have plans yourself so cancelling the overtime at short notice is not on.

What the other mum does for their friend is their business.

SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Fri 05-Apr-13 09:43:53

I'm not fussed that she sent them to another parent - he choice. More annoyed about the lying and the constant changing plans

BrendaB85 Fri 05-Apr-13 12:32:28

I would deffo say something!

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 05-Apr-13 12:49:25

Is it really a lie? Maybe she was going to send them to their nans and then changed her mind or nan was ill or something. Does it really matter where she sent them?

I think you're right about the letting you down and changing her plans with you, but the nan/playdate thing I would leave.

SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Fri 05-Apr-13 13:07:11

Was definitely a lie about Nans as she let slip earlier that they were going to friends all along

starfishmummy Fri 05-Apr-13 13:44:10

I wouldn't say anything about where the dc went although I would just mention that the constant changing of plans was difficult.

And next time (if there is) then, as someone else says, maybe stipulate that you get a cancellation fee.

DIYapprentice Fri 05-Apr-13 14:17:59

What she does with the children when they are not in your care is none of your business. How she treats you with regard to booking, changing your hours and cancelling you is completely your business.

You need to proactively look for holiday work - I'm sure there are others out there that need to have some childcare in the holidays.

There needs to be a formal agreement that if she books those days you will ONLY consider it to be a formal booking (and therefore not take otherwork) if she pays at least half the rate if she cancels you for any reason. If she won't guarantee to pay you, then you can't guarantee that you will be available.

You can say that this is based on what has happened this week, and she doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 05-Apr-13 14:19:31

the extra overtime being cancelled would annoy me big time, esp if money you were relying on

if this happens alot, you need to come to an agreement with your boss's with a notice period, 48hrs isnt a lot if you had agreed to working

esp as term time only, you could have turned down other work

being lied to is also not on, yes the mum can use who she wants, but why lie sad

that would leave a bitter taste in my mouth and trust issues sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now