Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Omg how does this little child do it?

(3 Posts)
Suzycb Thu 04-Apr-13 17:16:56

Poor child!
3 year old I care has always refused to wrap up properly. It's a fight daily with her parent as she refuses to wear a coat. Today snowing in London, colder than actual winter days!! She only had just a cardigan out in this bitterly cold. She will scream to see anyone carrying her coat when out.
On the way back she was upset b'cos she was cold & u think she's learn a lesson but tomorrow is a challenge. Lol

silverfrog Thu 04-Apr-13 17:23:37

she may well have sensory issues.

my dd2 was similar.

I remember a bitterly cold day when she was about 3, where she would not wear a coat or gloves. she did concede a hat hmm

she was a tiny little mite anyway, and was virtually turnng blue. thankfully as she was so small, I could carry her easily enough, so tucked her (mostly) inside my coat, stuffed her hands down the neck of my jumper (<shivers just remembering it>) etc. she was still freezing.

she is 6 now, and still hates wearing a coat. she is being assessed for AS, btw, before anyone jumps in with 'you're the parnt, just make her wear a coat'. she has quite extreme sensory issues with clothes on a daily basis, and doesn't seem to feel temperatures and temperature differences.

she didn't learn from that day, btw, and we endured many similar. she will now put a coat on when I tell her to, but still has many issues with zipping it up/sleeves being wrong/hating having the hood up etc.

nannynick Thu 04-Apr-13 18:33:54

I think it is quite common amongst 2 and 3 year olds. Given the chance they will wear very few clothes (if any) indoors and not many outdoors. It varies from child to child, some will refuse to wear their favourite coat until it really does get extreme.

I tend to encourage them to wear layers, such as best, t-shirt (or 2 even). Tights plus leggings. That way their core is still warm without a coat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now