Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

DS1 in school, DS2 - shlal I put to nursery 2 mornings a week? I work Full time

(13 Posts)
Hotpotatofood Thu 04-Apr-13 16:48:21

me and my husband work full time. My mother helps with childcare. Now DS1 is 4 and going to school and DS2 is nearly 1 year. If I want my DS2 to have a bit of variety to his day and mixing with children for his language development - shall I put him to nursery for 2 mornings a week 8-1 pm? I generally thought that child minders could have more personalised approach and are better than nurseries, but if I want my DS2 to be in the environment with similar age children - I do not know of childminder with similar age children. I feel that in 8-1 nursery environment he would be exposed to similar age children, in cold months not exposed to cold school runs to and fro. 2 mornings would be little but would provide enough variety. please share your ideas

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Thu 04-Apr-13 18:45:12

Visit some childminders and visit some nurseries and see which type of care you prefer.

ReetPetit Thu 04-Apr-13 19:13:37

I can't see any benefit in a 1 yr old doing 2 mornings in nursery. It will take him a long time to settle... Is it to give your mum a break? If so a cm is preferrable. Most go to groups and most have mindees of that age.
Is your mum willing to take him to any groups? Thats really all the interaction children of this age need. They dont actually play together, just alongside each other.
It is confusing to little ones to yhrow even more carers into the mix and would seem an unneccessary expense imo

nannynick Thu 04-Apr-13 19:15:12

As your mum provides childcare, I would not bother with nursery. Ask mum to go to toddler group, so DS2 gets some time with other children and mum gets to chat to other adults.

Investigate local pre-schools (some will call themselves a nursery but they will not provide all day care 8am-6pm) and put his name down on the waiting list, as they may take him from around 2 years old. Once he is 3 years old, then he can do more sessions at pre-school, using funded nursery education (assuming you are in the UK and that funding arrangements do not change between now and then).

WishIdbeenatigermum Thu 04-Apr-13 19:21:49

What does your mum think? She's doing more than helping, isn't she, if you and DH work full time.

BackforGood Thu 04-Apr-13 19:27:33

Agree with others. Is this to give your Mum a break, or for your child ? If your Mum is fine, then a 1 yr old doesn't really benefit from Nursery - wait until they are older. Your Mum could always go along to toddler groups if she wants to break up the week a bit.

Hotpotatofood Fri 05-Apr-13 14:13:20

yes, my mum gets tired a bit. so in order to provide her with a bit of a break - is it better cm for few hours or nursery 2 mornings? my baby has a nap between 10 and 11 am in the morning, then 2-3 pm.

ReetPetit Fri 05-Apr-13 15:12:46

op, i feel asking your mother to care for a 1 year old full time as well as an older one before/after school is an awful lot - are you paying her??

she is probably tired and doesn't want to do it but is too nice to tell you.
couldn't you just put your baby with a childminder full time?

if your mum wants to carry on, then I would say childminder definately for that age of child - but don't expect it to be easy for him to settle as that's 3 carers in one day, you, then your mum, then cm, then back to your mum, then back to you... confused

Hotpotatofood Sun 07-Apr-13 08:47:33

can i ask why do you think cm is better for 1 yr old. i feel bad for the situation but at the same time do not want baby to be with cm/nursery full time. i thought nursery can provide a variety for his activities

NoHank Sun 07-Apr-13 10:31:58

i thought nursery can provide a variety for his activities
Childminders can do this too. For example, my mindees are a bit older but the definitly rule the roost. They know where everything is and have access to arts and crafts, small world toys - kitchen, supermarket, dolls house - they know where the pop up tents are for den building and have free access (with supervision) to the garden where they spend a lot of time. We also go to groups most mornings to they are also mixing a lot with other children.

I think a childminder can be more adaptable with regards naps. One of my mindees also goes to nursery 2 days a week. He never naps for longer than 40 minutes whereas here he will sleep for up to 2 hours which is what he is still doing at home.

The best thing would be to visit both nursery's and childminders. You know your DS best and will be able to judge what you think would be the best environment for him.

ReetPetit Sun 07-Apr-13 20:25:37

Op, imo a single carer, whether a cm or a nanny is always better for a 1yr old, as long as they are a good carer!

Group care is not suitable for 1 yr olds imo. They need continuity of care and individual attention which they simply can't get in a nursery.

I have 20+ yrs experience btw and have never worked in a nursery i would leabe my own child under 2-3 yrs in.

I also think you will struggle with the added complication of only putting him in for short sessions as it will take longer to settle.

Hotpotatofood Sun 07-Apr-13 21:02:09

Reet petit, i agree - i can see your point. if my mum is still ok caring for baby - how can i provide him with environment where he develops his speech, interaction etc - my mum not very keen going to playgroups, maybe it is too much for her. shall i choose the cm for 1 session when she has a couple of other chilfdren at the same time... i know one cm- she cares for a 2 yrs old boy - will it be a good solution?

breatheslowly Sun 07-Apr-13 21:13:24

I think that nurseries can be the right environment for a 1 year old. DD loved nursery at that age (and still does) and got plenty of 1 to 1 attention and continuity of care. The very clear routine at the nursery was very good for her as were the range of activities (which were specifically designed for her age group). The staff do personalise the learning in good nurseries. I regularly chatted with DD's key worker about her development and next steps and her keyworker planned activities with DD's development in mind. Obviously you should go for the type of care that you think most suits your DS and you, but I wouldn't necessarily dismiss all nurseries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now