Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders Do you charge for settling in sessions??

(13 Posts)
ifmamaainthappy Thu 04-Apr-13 09:45:19

It's been a while since i had a new starter, And i cant decide should i charge for settling in sessions?? I haven't had a deposit or a retainer as Mom only came to see me 2 weeks ago and the baby starts in 2 weeks but will be doing a few hours each week previous.

Kaz18 Thu 04-Apr-13 10:16:39

I will be offering two free sessions of 2 hours each, any more is to be paid for. You're still working after all.

ReetPetit Thu 04-Apr-13 10:20:19

i charge by the hour for settling sessions. I have heard of parents getting free settling sessions and then disappearing - not worth working for free imo! You are running a business, put your business hat on smile

mamamaisie Thu 04-Apr-13 10:21:25

I have always offered three free session for 2 hours each, but only after I have received a deposit.

Tanith Thu 04-Apr-13 10:59:49

That's a good idea, Mamamaisie!

I offer up to 5 sessions, including a home visit and, although I haven't yet had anyone taking advantage, I've heard of it happening, too.

I am going to charge a deposit to cover it.

ifmamaainthappy Thu 04-Apr-13 11:02:22

Thanks, interesting, i'm adding to my P & P that theses sessions are chargeable at my Hourly rate Then the parents are only paying for what they use, and after all i pay for my dental check ups wink

looneytune Thu 04-Apr-13 12:28:19

No longer childminding but I always offered 3 x 2 hours for free for settling in. Back in September I had 5 new starters all at the same time (part timers) so 30 hours of free childcare to get them all settled in - took some organising so didn't have 2 have very first session on the same day but we managed in the end. I think if I charged then some wouldn't want to do settling in sessions and imo it was very important.

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Thu 04-Apr-13 13:30:33

I also do 2 x 2 hours free of charge for settling in, but I like the idea of getting the deposit first and deducting the hours in the event of the parents not taking up the space.

HSMMaCM Thu 04-Apr-13 13:45:00

I charge for mine. I normally have a daily rate, but do part day charges for settling in. I don't charge for home visits. I always take a deposit.

Seb101 Thu 04-Apr-13 15:06:28

I'm a nanny, but always get paid for settling in sessions. I think childminders should be the same. If I was a parent I'd except to pay for these sessions. I think those of you offering it free are very generous!

ifmamaainthappy Thu 04-Apr-13 15:15:28

Happy to say have spoke to Mom, and she expected to pay, along with play sessions i visit!! A Good Result. And Thank you all so very much have these on me flowers and wine

BackforGood Thu 04-Apr-13 15:16:06

I think it depends how insistent you are on them having 'settling in sessions'.

Suzycb Thu 04-Apr-13 15:48:03

Free settling in sessions, what a great idea as I've never heard that. I'll implement that on any future Childcare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now