Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Babysitting rates

(8 Posts)
Hags Thu 04-Apr-13 09:44:56

Please can I have some advice. What are the going babysitting rates in Scotland? We live just outside Glasgow and will be driving our babysitter home and picking her up. I have two children 5&7 yrs old. Asked her Mum (she is 19 yrs old) what the going rate is but she doesn't know. Mums advice greatly appreciated on this one.

joolsangel Thu 04-Apr-13 16:07:04

ive got no idea - sorry to be so unhelpful!!! we are looking for babysitter for our 4 yr old as until now we don't really go out and occasionally use PILs. but recently we went out with another 2 couples. there were 5 children under 10 and they stayed at the same house. one of the couples arranged the babysitter - 18 yr old. could not believe it when she asked us all to give £20 each to the baby sitter for 4 hours sitting that night. that 18 yr old earned £60 for sitting watching telly with the kids for 4 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!! im sure the going rate is a lot less than this tho !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suzycb Thu 04-Apr-13 17:04:17

Hi Hags,

Go on sitters website & check if they're available within your area. Sitters do all the hard work (checks) and its quite a low rate.

nannynick Thu 04-Apr-13 19:22:38

She is 19, she can decide for herself what she wants to be paid. Some parents may pay an hourly rate, others may pay a fixed amount per evening.

What an agency charges, or what other parents pay their babysitter do not really make a difference... it is up to your particular babysitter to decide how much they want and for you to decide if that is reasonable.

How about offering £20 for an evening (4 hours or less) and see what they say?

BackforGood Thu 04-Apr-13 19:30:16

NHational min wage for 19 yr olds is £4.98 to give you a starting point.
I agree with Nannynick though, a nice round figure like £20 for sitting in someone else's house for the evening would be fine for most teens / students. smile

GoAndAskDaddy Thu 04-Apr-13 19:51:26

I pay £20 if back before 12 & £25 if after. Sounds a bit mean but we're in rural Yorkshire & they only have to sit & watch TV! Never had a problem getting anyone to come & help us out so paying this rate can't be that wrong.....

GW297 Thu 04-Apr-13 19:55:28

I would go about 5 pounds an hour, given her age, experience and the fact you have to pick her up and take her home. If she's good and you want her to sit regularly for you from time to time I would go 6 pounds per hour plus tray of drinks and snacks left out! I hope you enjoy your night out too!

calmlychaotic Thu 04-Apr-13 20:30:20

I'm a cm and me or my assistant sometimes babysit for the children we mind in the day, we charge 6.50 per hour. I drive, but my assistant needs taking home or taxi providing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now