Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

new au pair - how to make new friends in London?

(20 Posts)
Majorca Thu 11-May-06 11:36:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bugsy2 Thu 11-May-06 11:42:22

Will she be going to language college? They often meet lots of friends there. Also do you have a local newsagents she could put a card in the window in her own language with a mobile number?

Majorca Thu 11-May-06 12:04:09

MrsRecycle Thu 11-May-06 20:46:19

Hi Majorca
My AP meets up every weekend with others. She is more than happy for your AP to join them. If she wants to contact her, mail her here . The details are in Dutch but its easy enough to understand.

Majorca Fri 12-May-06 07:44:22

Majorca Sat 20-May-06 12:09:58

Martini Mon 22-May-06 23:38:40

Their is something called au pair friends which is a website which one of the agencies I looked at once used.

You have to pay to join which I suppose is meant to put off weirdos pretending to be 18 year old east europeans/ swedes etc - but who knows!

Does she go to language school - maybe she can make friends there.

Martini Mon 22-May-06 23:45:45

au pair friends

Try this link

Martini Mon 22-May-06 23:48:06

Oh have just noticed that don't think you can use it if your au pair didn't come from agency. Ah well - hope she meets someone.

Majorca Tue 23-May-06 08:12:11

MrsRecycle Thu 25-May-06 14:17:18

Oops sorry Majorca missed your posting. Just checked the link and it seems to be down . If you go to Guyonne's home page http://guyonne.web-log.nl/ and then select Mailformulier at the bottom right hand side, complete the form (Name/email address/subject/message) are the boxes to be complete. The last box asks if you want a copy of the message sent to your mail address.

sunandmoon Thu 25-May-06 14:39:56

I was an au pair about 15 years ago as well as a nanny few years back and I am pulling my hat to you Majorca for trying to find friends for your new au pair... I never had a family doing that for me!!! She will definitely find some new friends at the college (younger or/and older than her), and being in London, by going out she will surely meet people in pubs, cafes etc.
And again, I am sure you must be a wonderful person to work for

tenalady Thu 25-May-06 16:09:30

Majorca I have the same dilemna but we are in Hertfordshire. I know I have seen websites where nannies and aupairs meet up in London. I cant send my little Frenchy into London on her own. It was suggested I contact local language colleges for girls in similar position but drew a blank there. So any Mnetters with French AuPairs or Nannies in Hertfordshire or London please pipe up.

MrsRecycle Thu 25-May-06 16:21:20

tena - if you fill in the contact details on guyonne's page - she'll put you in touch with a French AuPair who lives in Ruislip, on the Metropolitan line so should be able to meet up with your AuPair. I'll tell Guyonne tonight to expect your message.

tenalady Thu 25-May-06 16:30:00

Thanks Mrs R but I was hijacking Majorcas thread to look for a little frenchy for me in Hertfordshire. It is actually Majorca looking for the aupair in London area so I thought i would give her a help. This will be useful for Majorca once she picks up the thread again. Ta very much though

tenalady Thu 25-May-06 16:30:05

Thanks Mrs R but I was hijacking Majorcas thread to look for a little frenchy for me in Hertfordshire. It is actually Majorca looking for the aupair in London area so I thought i would give her a help. This will be useful for Majorca once she picks up the thread again. Ta very much though

MrsRecycle Thu 25-May-06 16:57:44

tena - my AP knows a Frenchy whose English is really bad and is looking for new friends so she will be glad of meeting up with yours! Don't worry, Guyonne can just email you her msn details and your Frenchy can communicate (more effectively) with her friend.

Majorca Thu 25-May-06 18:20:44

Majorca Sat 27-May-06 12:09:35

catepilarr Fri 02-Jun-06 16:50:18

try these sites

http://www.au-pair-box.com/forum/phpbb2/index.php

in english, german, french and spanish

www.aupairusa.de in german

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: