Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How do I become a childminder? Is this realistic?

(4 Posts)
manitz Tue 02-Apr-13 16:26:02

Hi have just spoken to local council and they are sending me details of all the courses I need to do to become a CM. Someone at a group was mentioning needing a child to sort of 'practice on' to complete the training. The council didn't mention a probation period - does it exist?

Also I'm wondering if I'm even being realistic. We are about to start building work and decorating soon. Would it be mad to start? It's just a friend who is a teacher wants a cm, it would be ideal as tto and only really for a week or two this summer term then pt from sept which is when ds1 goes to school - one year gap between her dd and ds2 so I think they'd get on. Timing is fab except for building work. Will ofsted even let me cm from the home visit if we are a bit upside down?
Does pacey advise standard rates to charge too?

Thanks

HSMMaCM Tue 02-Apr-13 17:43:26

I would be surprised if you are registered before the end of the summer term. You don't need a child to practice on. Your LA should be able to answer all your questions. Good luck smile

HSMMaCM Tue 02-Apr-13 17:44:21

Oh ... and renovations shouldn't be a problem. You just have to risk assess them in the same way as you would for your own child.

manitz Wed 03-Apr-13 08:38:05

thanks. I thought it would be tight. They told me 12 weeks before inspection of premises. Tbh, I haven't even asked her if she's interested but will bear that in mind. Thanks again for reply.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now