Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Becoming a nanny

(7 Posts)
Kaz18 Mon 01-Apr-13 16:59:15

Hello

Looking for some advice regarding becoming a nanny please. I'm in Scotland and currently in the process of becoming a registered childminder (just awaiting my certificate).

Since going through the registration process I have now found out that there are roughly 14 other childminders in the area and the town is not large.

Therefore, I'm also looking at nannying as another option. Is there anything I need to do to be able to be a nanny?

Also, can anyone tell me what I need to do to be able to accept childcare vouchers as a nanny?

Thanks smile

nannynick Mon 01-Apr-13 17:02:09

In Scotland you may want to use a childcare agency, as then parents could use childcare vouchers/tax credits towards the cost. Scotland is different in this respect to England, as it is the agency that is registered not the individual nanny.

nannynick Mon 01-Apr-13 17:04:24

To find agencies use the SCSWIS website... Find A Care Service - select Child Care Agency from the type of service.

Kaz18 Mon 01-Apr-13 17:31:57

Thank you. What sort of thing should I be looking for in an agency? Does it matter if they are in my area or not?

DIYapprentice Tue 02-Apr-13 13:50:16

You should check out the childminders a little more before you make this decision firmly. When trying to find a CM in my area, a few of them only did very limited part time hours. It seemed as though they had only registered in order to look after either family or friend's children, and didn't want to do more than that. ('I only childmind on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and because I car pool for school pick up I can only look after children until 2.30. I don't do any after school care as my children have too many activities' - WTF???!!!)

Kaz18 Tue 02-Apr-13 15:07:00

Lol I see what you're saying!!

I do have two little ones lined up to start in July although no contracts signed yet as I'm not registered yet!! Care Inspectorate are taking the biscuit now!

This is only one day a week though so was thinking of widening my options for the other days as I know business can be slow, especially in the first year. We would really struggle to afford to live if I am only working one day a week.

DIYapprentice Tue 02-Apr-13 15:18:44

If you need more hours, but don't need to be 'full time' to get by, at least to start with, you could consider advertising at nurseries that do the 3 hour sessions. Most CMs charge for the hours that a child is at nursery. If you didn't charge, or charged a lower rate for those hours, you might get work for the afternoon, so from 12 - 6 pm.

The other hard to get childcare is day time ad hoc care, occasional (or even regular) weekend or overnight care - think hospital staff. Not sure if that is something you are willing or able to do, but that is like gold dust where I am. Even if you were to do the out of hours care at the home of the child, it would leave you your days free should any childminding work come up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now