Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Can the nanny come when we are sick?

(10 Posts)
Aspire2Iron Mon 01-Apr-13 16:13:46

When my daughter had scarlet fever I told my nanny/mother's help to stay home so she wouldn't catch it. That was 2 weeks ago. Now, my other daughter is sick and so am I (full picture: I have three DCs, age 5, 2 1/2 and 4 months... We home school and my husband works out of town 4+ nights a week. Nanny comes two half days per week). This time it's a confirmed virus (Easter mon urgent care.... Blah). Is it bad form to have her come in? I'm shattered and could really use the help, but is it naughty to expect her to come into our germy household?

nannynick Mon 01-Apr-13 16:18:26

What virus? If hygiene is good, then it should not be a problem them coming to work. You and DD could stay in bed, and they could take the other children out for a while and do some tasks around the home such as catching up with the laundry.
One of the benefits of having a nanny is that they will care for children with a mild illness, so coming into contact with a virus is part of the job.

FrameyMcFrame Mon 01-Apr-13 16:27:07

Yes taking the ok children out would be a really good plan.

juneybean Mon 01-Apr-13 16:27:19

I still go to work when my bosses are sick, part of the job, I never really worry about myself catching things, perils of working with children.

Aspire2Iron Mon 01-Apr-13 16:37:04

Thanks folks. Having a nanny is a new arrangement for us so I was unsure. Thanks again!!

Aspire2Iron Mon 01-Apr-13 16:38:19

Virus includes vomiting (tho that is now done), fever and general horrible feelingness. C'mon spring!!

happychappy Mon 01-Apr-13 16:43:07

It would depend for me. If I was going to get really sick I would prefer not to go to work. Over Christmas my dad had a heart attack and when the family came down with the vimiting virus I didn't go in because I couldn't go near my dad if I was infectious. Normally don't mind though

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 01-Apr-13 20:19:30

why didnt your nanny come in when your dc had scarlet fever? thats the one big advantage to having a nanny compared to cm's/nurseries, that a nanny WILL look after your sick children

my ex charge then 6yrs had scarlet fever and had 2 weeks off school, and I carried on looking after her while mb/db went to work

but yes get her in to help you, take out other children for fresh air/ they prob have cabin fever

hope you feel better soon

Aspire2Iron Tue 02-Apr-13 11:50:43

Thanks Blondes. I just felt uneasy having her in bc scarlet fever is a nasty bug and I didn't want her to catch it. ?? We swapped days, tho, so she worked for us a diff day. Thanks for the info.... This is all new to me!!

Happy, I get that. Sorry about the trouble your dad had.

happychappy Fri 05-Apr-13 09:37:08

Thanks aspire. In fact I didnt charge her and took the day unpaid simply because unusually I would go in regardless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now