Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Talk to me about your paper work Childminders - I am listening !!

(20 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Sun 31-Mar-13 21:49:53

I have been trying to catch up on my paper work. For a while there has been papers all over my dining table. Sometimes due to being busy you let it MOUNT UP. Its looking much better grin

Those of you who are all up to date tell me how you did it?

What can I put on the computer and save time with ( I email my Policies and procedures, invoices, news letter) anything else.

Tell me everything you do that works well for you.

I am watching this space............ grin

Using time wisely as I wait for Ofsted. Last time they visited was in 2008 not too long after I started cm.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!

MUM2BLESS Mon 01-Apr-13 21:28:15

Hi everyone, any advice? smile

mamamaisie Tue 02-Apr-13 10:34:36

lol, maybe you haven't got any replies because none of us manage to keep on top of it all!!

wednesdaygirl Tue 02-Apr-13 10:55:51

gringringrin

wednesdaygirl Tue 02-Apr-13 10:59:43

I have policys, enrolment forms, holiday dates, invoices etc on pc and send/print out when needed

I do my books/tax return on the pc on excel

I have babydays so do daily dairys and next steps on pc

Only paperwork i have is register and an overall payment chart

MUM2BLESS Tue 02-Apr-13 13:59:00

Thanks. Some may see the paper work thread and not want to even talk about it.

Tell me more about the babydays... thanks

What about risk assessment? do you just do a daily one from the top of your head?

MUM2BLESS Tue 02-Apr-13 14:04:01

Me again

Tell me what is compulsory for me to be doing whether paperwork wise or on the computer?

With all the changes, I am trying to keep up with everything I should be doing.

wednesdaygirl Tue 02-Apr-13 17:55:05

Risk assessments are written
I have a daily risk assessment printed up abd look through it each morning abd write RA in the regester

MUM2BLESS Tue 02-Apr-13 19:37:18

Is it a tick list type of chart or just to look at only?Thank you so much

wednesdaygirl Tue 02-Apr-13 20:31:26

Just a list
I dont pencil mark the list just check it

lechatnoir Tue 02-Apr-13 22:15:30

I only started last year & have just had my inspection so all my policies, new starter forms, parent packs etc are up to date & TBH unless something prompts me otherwise, I don't intend to look at them again until end of August when the annual review is due blush.

I do invoices on the 25th of each month in the evening & submit to parents by email there & then.

I make sure I do my accounts each month within the first week of the following month (ie just about to start march) - I use the NCMA books and staple receipts onto the back of the corresponding month - one day I'll set up an excel equivalent but for now it works ok.

I use my iphone to take photos for LJ & observations which I then send to Orbit & write a brief note if not immediately then later that day before I forget the moment!! I try & log on to the Orbit website a couple of times a month to write up a proper observations, link to EYFS, next steps etc and save to the child's LJ. Once a term I send home LJ with a termly 'update', space for parents comments etc.

Daily dairies for under 3's are written in the child's A5 notebook daily usually at tea time or just before they go home & I try to keep max 1 page per child.

Attendance register - I use 1 page print out per week for all children & only ask parents to sign if they are late collecting. TBH unless I want a parent to sign it, I rarely complete it & had to do 7 weeks worth before Ofsted came so maybe not to the best example wink

Visitor Log - 1 page with instructions to visitors kept by the front door & up to date.

Once a term I do a 'newsletter' type email which is welcoming new starters, my holiday dates, term dates inc. inset days, request or thanks for doing questionnaires/feedback forms etc and keep a record of this & any responses in my 'working in partnership' file.

Fire evacuation proceedure - did it once, ridiculous, not doing it again unless I suddenly find myself looking after vast numbers of children I can't control! Utterly pointless exercise which did nothing to prepare me or mindees (age 8 mths & 10 mths wink) for the real thing so I'm just going to fill in my log to say I've done it once a term but probably not get around to it until the weekend before my next Ofsted Inspection grin

At the beginning of the year I did a yearly plan with month-by-month breakdown showing activities & links to EYFS (took bloody ages but most can be rehashed or reused for next year) - great if you have lots of pre-schoolers not so if it's only older ones for the odd hour after school or babies IMO. It can be helpful to prompt activity ideas, Ofsted loved it, some parents like it, good way to link into pre-schools etc but certainly not essential & quite a faff.

RA's - I did so bloody many when I started & rechecked prior to inspection & try to update if anything significant happens but I'll be honest & say I don't normally worry about RA - I think I'd lose the will to live if I started a formal daily RA or wrote one every time I set foot in a new place. I rely on common sense, mother/childminder instinct & watching over mindees grin

lechatnoir Tue 02-Apr-13 22:15:51

sorry got a bit carried away then blush

busymum1 Wed 03-Apr-13 18:08:48

this is the legal requirements www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-requirements-for-written-documents-childminders-delivering-early-years-foundatio I basically have a child record form a contract and permission forms for each child. I have a medication/accident book. I have a register. I have a set of policies.

All my learning journeys are done on an app called 2simple. I was forever bogged down in paperwork but I love it since getting this last October my stress has gone. You literally take a photo using the app a post it appears which you can customise so mine says observation and Characteristic of effective learning. Once you have put that in you can link to the eyfs really simply. You chose an age group chose an area of learning then it breaks it down into sections e.g. expressive art & design options are media & materials or being imaginative.

The whole lot takes a few minutes. It is pin encrypted as are the email; reports you can send to parents as you wish to.

The web suite that goes with it is great as it shows how many observations for each child for each area & aspect and what age group they fit into.

For the £29 a year (55p a week) it gets my vote every time. Also easy as I always have my phone with me for emergencies.

MUM2BLESS Wed 03-Apr-13 21:23:31

Thank you for your brilliant advice

lechatnoir, wow so impressive!!. How many do you mind? Your so wise and you started off well. I am learning form you!!!!

*busymum1 thank you for the link. Made some notes. Tell me more about 2simple, thank you.

busymum1 Wed 03-Apr-13 21:32:39

To get 2simple I searched eyfs in the App Store orbit came up but I found theirs was harder to use and needed much more computer use rather than iPhone. You get to try a few sample Obs just by downloading so you can see what you think if you go on Internet and search 2buildaprofile.com you can see more of the websuite.

It hard to describe without knowing exactly what you want to know.

MUM2BLESS Wed 03-Apr-13 21:39:28

Thanks busymum1. Will think about that one.

Can anyone advice me on this. I care for a 5yrs (birthday was in Feb). She is in full time reception. Only comes to me when needed in hols alone. Do I still need to do LJ and obs when she comes? or not necessary any more?

Thanks again

busymum1 Wed 03-Apr-13 21:41:50

In statutory guidance it says providers who offer wrap around care should be guided by but do not have to deliver the whole eyfs

MUM2BLESS Wed 03-Apr-13 22:01:44

Thank you.

lechatnoir Thu 04-Apr-13 19:55:42

I have 3 eyfs plus 2 wraparound on a regular basis (although none full time) and then 2 more schoolies on an ad hoc basis in the hols.

For children in FT education (like your 5 yr old) I'm pretty much ignoring any official guidance & just keep a very basic folder for each with records etc plus the odd photo of days out or any artwork they have done with me but that's it & Ofsted seemed happy enough with this (she showed minimal interest in non-eyfs children TBH)

MUM2BLESS Thu 04-Apr-13 21:47:51

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now