Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Have I made a boo boo!!!!!!

(5 Posts)
Justanotherday Sat 30-Mar-13 09:50:11

A family paid me a deposit to hold a place for one day a week, I gave them a contract and waited for them to return it with the deposit. They paid the deposit but did not return the contract as she did not have a start date from work as yet. A month and a half later she contacted me to say she did not need that day anymore. I said obviously I would keep the deposit but she could still use the days that the deposit paid for (is that my big boo boo). Should I have said that they could NOT use those days and that have just lost the deposit? She is asking to use the days when she wants in the summer which I said no to. I have said she can use the days when she was originally supposed to start. Just waiting for a reply but don't think she is going to be happy. WWYD in this situation? Thanks for reading.

FlorenceMattell Sat 30-Mar-13 09:58:40

So she will be taking a place for that day per week, you will not be able to fill unless you get a child term time only.
Will she pay a retainer for the day when it is not school holidays?
You have done the correct thing. The deposit is just that it held the place for her and stopped someone else taking the place.
Depending on your contract how much notice she gives to cancel place if she loses the deposit or not.
If she wants the place then it is as the contract stated. Was the contract for all year?

Fightlikeagirl Sat 30-Mar-13 10:23:08

To secure a space I take a months fees up front, this counts as first months fees. If parents decide not to take space then this would not be returned. But this would all be covered, discussed and agreed when signing contract. As they haven't returned the contract I'm not sure what correct thing to do is but I would probably keep the deposit and not offer the days, it sounds as though they have messed you around and stopped you from filling the space.

minderjinx Sat 30-Mar-13 13:56:03

I think you have made at least one boo boo tbh! If a parent wants to reserve a place they need to provide a deposit and sign a contract. I would explain the terms of the contract for as long as they like but they don't get to take it away (as experience has taught me that they may either lose it or take an age to complete and return it). The deposit is clearly stated to be non-returnable and is forfeited if they fail to meet the terms of the contract including starting on or more to the point paying from the agreed day. So if they are not sure of the start date they either take a best guess (and that is their risk) or they decide they are not ready to enter into a contract and it is then their risk that you find someone else who is. I would definitely not be agreeing to tie up a place for even longer (ie to the summer) for someone who has already mesed you around.

CandyCrushed Sat 30-Mar-13 16:53:03

I think you are in a difficult situation as they haven't signed or returned the contract.
I would wait and see what she says but I think you should be cautious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now