Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Re: Completely nannying.

(5 Posts)
PenTheo Wed 06-Mar-13 21:04:28


I am not sure if this is an appropriate place to post but I will give it a go! Also please forgive me if I seem clueless / get the lingo wrong, I am writing this on behalf of my partner.

My partner has just moved to the UK and has found a potential employer who is offering her a nanny position for 20-20 hours per week. She is trained as a social worker and has a lot of experience working with adults and children of all ages, including 1 years full time work in a kindergarden and various a load of babysitting experience.

There are a number of things that I/we are not really sure about in assuring everything is above board and that all parties are properly protected. Any clarification on the below issues would really be greatly appreciated.

1) It is the employers duty to pay NI and income tax contributions on the employees behalf. This means that after signing a contract - declaring income is not something that the nanny should have to worry about?

2) Are their any government lists or organizations that one must register with before being allowed to work as a nanny with a private employer? Are CRB checks etc required?

3) Is it advised that nannies should take out some kind of insurance to cover themselves and the children? If so, where can one find out information about policies? Are their any recommendations? And, are there any issues we may need to be aware of, or any barriers that may stand in the way of taking out a policy?

Is there anything else that we need to consider?!



OutragedFromLeeds Wed 06-Mar-13 21:12:04

1) Yes, it's the employers responsibility to sort tax/NI payments and issue payslips etc.

2) No, there is no legal requirement to be registered to work as a nanny. Many families want an Ofsted registered nanny though so that they can use childcare vouchers to pay. To register with Ofsted you must have a basic childcare qualification, paedeatric first aid, insurance and a CRB check. Check with the family whether they need her to be Oftsed registered or not.

3) Yes, insurance is advised. Google nanny insurance. Nearly all the nannies I know (including me) use MortonMichel, though I don't actually know anyone who has made a claim so can't advise as to how good they are.

nannynick Wed 06-Mar-13 22:49:31

1 - Yes. Your partner should obtain a national insurance number if they have not done so already, I think a local jobcentre can assist with that. It is the employers responsibility to deduct taxes. A payslip showing the deductions must be provided everytime someone is paid. New nanny employers can get confused about doing payroll, I suggest they use a nanny payroll company.

2 - No. Anyone can call themselves a nanny. If the employer wants to partpay salary using childcare vouchers or taxcredits, then the nanny (in England) has to be registered with the regulator, Ofsted.

3 - Morton Michel are probaby the best known insurance provider. The insurance underwriters will have their specific terms and fees. They may decide to insure an unqualified nanny but they may charge a higher fee, for example.
The insurance protects the nanny, not the children.

If using own car, mileage whilst on duty should be paid, up to 45p per mile.
If using own car for transporting the children, special insurance should be arranged. Standard policies do not cover work use, business use policies may not cover 'children'. Check policies carefully, talk to insurance brookers. Morton Michel can arrange motor insurance with a clause added to it to cover looked after children.

Keep in mind that the parents may have never had a nanny before, so everything is new to them as well. Read lots about it, lots of info on this section of Mumsnet, plus other websites.

Victoria2002 Thu 07-Mar-13 07:02:00

The National Childminders Association also do nanny insurance, with free annual membership, they can support you with advice re ofsted registration etc

fraktion Thu 07-Mar-13 08:11:40

Other helpful organisations to look at would be BAPN and Voice although both those have minimum standards for members.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now