Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny (live out) or Childminder? Northwest

(8 Posts)
lynseymumof4 Mon 25-Feb-13 07:53:00

I have 4 children ages 4, 3, 1 and 8 week's. I'm trying to get a full time job but as i'm a single mother, i will need adequate childcare while i am at work. None of my children are at full time school just yet and only my 2 oldest are at full time nursery (15hrs pw). I'm not sure what my hour's will be just yet as i've not got a job yet lol but I'm looking for an average cost. Is it going to be cheaper for me to hire a live out nanny for hour's of around 50 per week or hire a child minder for 4 children? I know live out nanny's are between £7- £10 per hour but not sure on child minders fee's, are they per child, per hour, per day or? It's really giving me grief as I am desperate to get back into work and start showing my kid's that working is what you're supposed to do. Their father and i have recently split, he has moved back down south with his parent's and has nothing to do with his children so him doing some 'parenting' while i work isn't an option :0( Please help? xx

HSMMaCM Mon 25-Feb-13 07:59:23

Most CMs charge per child, so might be more than a nanny.

nannynick Mon 25-Feb-13 09:20:49

What salary are jobs you can apply for offering? With 4 children, your Childcare cost will be high, so your salary will need to be high.

A nanny could be the lower cost option as their salary is not based on number of children. A childminder would charge based on number of children.

Your local Family Information Service can give you a list of registered childminders and may know the average cost per hour in your area.

A nanny could be around £10 gross an hour, plus employers national insurance, activity costs, travel cost on duty, payroll admin, etc.

Either way, I expect your childcare cost could be 30,000 plus, assuming full-time. So your job needs to be paying 60,000 plus to cover the cost plus give you some money left over -as you pay for childcare out of your take home pay (after tax deductions).

calmlychaotic Mon 25-Feb-13 09:27:05

I charge £30 per day per child and I charge less than most, I'm a childminder, so yes think a nanny would probably be cheaper for you.

Runoutofideas Mon 25-Feb-13 09:44:26

As Nannynick says, unless you are earning a really good salary, it is going to be hard for you to afford childcare when your children are so young. I am a childminder charging £5 per hour per child, so your 4 with me for a 10 hour day would cost £200 per day! PLus you'd have to find a childminder with space for so many children, which could be very tricky. A nanny would definitely be cheaper, but still expensive.... Your best bet would be to get your exH to pay for your nanny if he is not going to provide childcare...otherwise I can't see how you can do it.

lynseymumof4 Mon 25-Feb-13 13:39:20

\unfortunately for me, i have no option but to pay for childcare and get back into full time work as i won't get much if any help with cost's in part time work. I will get help towards the costs if i take up full time work. I wanted to attend college while i was being a stay at home single mum but the new rules from the government we have right now states that i must seek full time employment as soon as my youngest turns 1 or have my benefit's stopped. Either way, i have no choice. I'd love to work but child care is going to play an important role in that. I am enquiring about all the cost's and the help i could receive over the next few day's. If I can't get enough help towards childcare cost's then I will be basically working for less than i get now or for free which will be challenging as i'm struggling to pay for everything now. But as i said, new government rules mean's I will have no choice. Thank you for advice xx

nannynick Mon 25-Feb-13 16:16:53

Currently you can get up to 230 a week of help via tax credits Childcare element. Not sure what happens with universal credit when that kicks in.
Problem is, that 230 (70% of 300, the max weekly claim amount) is that it represents a small part of your Childcare cost, due to the number of children you have.

Runoutofideas Mon 25-Feb-13 17:06:28

I think you'd have to have an ofsted registered nanny to be able to get help with the costs too - not sure though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now