This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Inspire me re my next career move

(9 Posts)
Victoria2002 Sun 24-Feb-13 16:00:40

I have been a nanny for 15 years, now NWOC. I love my job but the hours are very long and the wage does't increase much with experience at this stage. I am trying to decide what my next career move should be, I want to have another baby and can have a career break to do so, but after that, what? Child minding is the obvious answer. Short of becoming a highly paid holiday-tester my ideal job would be something with a high hourly rate eg: kids party entertainer/running kids classes, or maybe parenting classes. Since having my baby I am fascinated with the birthing experience and thought of becoming a doula (unsociable hours) or a lactation consultant (though I think to become an LC would take ages). I wonder what other nannies or childminders plan to move on to, or have re-trained in? Or dream of?

Mogandme Sun 24-Feb-13 16:04:17

I am a nanny and also doing a degree - I would like to help Forces children using play therapy in a couple of years.

Victoria2002 Sun 24-Feb-13 16:12:46

Wow, good luck, that sounds very rewarding.! I cannot imagine how you find the time to study alongside nannying hours.

RedRidingChops Sun 24-Feb-13 16:20:25

I'm currently working about a million hours a week (nanny) to save up so in a couple of years I can start a play work qualification- I was lucky enough to volunteer in the play department a hospital for a few months and really enjoyed it, I know it's a job I could do well and would certainly help more than caring for well-off children! A former nanny friend now, amongst other things, does creche work for an event firm so it's varied and all over the place.

Mogandme Sun 24-Feb-13 16:20:30

I work a full time nanny job minimum of 50 hours including a lot of proxy parenting at least 2 24 hours duties month; upto weeks at a time. So yes it can be hard but if I don't do it now then I won't be able to down the line so even when I'm procrastinating {supposed to be writing an essay at the moment} I know that I will be letting myself down {and my boss} if I don't buckle down and get this qualification - am currently half way through.

Karoleann Sun 24-Feb-13 20:22:27

Have you thought about becoming an ante-natal teacher, maybe for the NCT? It's a 2/3 year course, but it could be quite rewarding.

The other thing that would be in huge demand around the area I live in is school age holiday care over Christmas holidays or the periods between when private schools finish and state schools do. As there is currently nothing.

Victoria2002 Mon 25-Feb-13 04:10:51

Thanks karoleann I had thought of being an antenatal teacher, and I love the subject, not sure I'd earn more than I currently do by working for the nct though. I am in London so I imagine there is school holiday care options available, although I can only think of sports camps etc so could investigate further.

nannynick Mon 25-Feb-13 09:09:11

What salary do any of these roles pay? I wonder if any pay more than nannying? Only job I have had that paid more than nannying was when I did a combination of IT Support and Consumer Sales (commission bumped up the basic salary).

Victoria2002 Mon 25-Feb-13 14:29:21

If one did birthday party entertainment or ran a popular kids class one could bring in £100ph plus. When I was looking for a private lactation consultant in London a home visit was £200+ for 90 mins, and Amanda of Amanda's Action Club is £350 odd for 90 mins, I paid £500 or so for hypnobirthing lessons in my own home. Obviously I understand that you need to train/build a name for yourself/spend time on office work or marketing etc, but to be able to earn a days wage in half an afternoon a few times a week would be great, especially if it was in one of my areas of interest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now