Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Pay rise for nanny

(10 Posts)
SW1XMother Mon 18-Feb-13 20:05:38

Hello,

Our wonderful nanny has been with us since my first child was three months old, so just over two years. My second child is now five months old and I will return next month to work. She lives with us, gets 27k gross a year and works 60h a week. How much should I increase her salary when I return to work?

callaird Mon 18-Feb-13 21:35:38

I'm a nanny, have a 21 month old charge, boss is expecting number two in 3 weeks. I do not expect a pay rise when she goes back to work at the end of the year. I got a pay rise after being with them a year and would like to think that I would get one when I have been here two years, a short time after she has gone back to work.

A nanny works per family, not per child. A nanny could get the same amount with one child as another nanny gets for 4 children.

Of course, it is always nice to get a pay rise, whatever the amount!!

ceeveebee Mon 18-Feb-13 21:41:32

That works out at £8.65 gross per hour seems quite low - I assume you're not in London/SE where £12 would be more normal.
I gave my nanny a £1/hour pay rise after twelve months - I would hate to lose her as she is wonderful and the DCs love her.

SW1XMother Mon 18-Feb-13 21:41:49

Callaird

Thanks. I know that a nanny works per family and not per child but our nanny is amazing and I wouldn't know what I would do without her. I am at home at the moment (maternity leave) and see how wonderful she looks after my daughter and also the baby when she looks after him. I can afford to rise her pay and just wanted to know what is common. She started on 25k with us and I increased it after one year plus a little bonus.

SW1XMother Mon 18-Feb-13 21:42:50

ceeveebee The lives with us. It works out at £400 a week net. We live in Central London.

SW1XMother Mon 18-Feb-13 21:43:01

*she not the

ceeveebee Mon 18-Feb-13 21:57:48

Ah right, didn't realise she was live-in, that makes more sense then.

ceeveebee Mon 18-Feb-13 21:58:19

Perhaps I ought to learn to read the OP a bit better!

iluvkids Mon 18-Feb-13 22:05:30

if you can afford to n shes worth it then 450 net would be a great live in wage - experience n hours wise

SW1XMother Thu 21-Feb-13 10:00:26

Thanks. We will raise it to £450 net when I return to work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now