Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

My parents pay my daughters nursery fees

(46 Posts)
justinemansfd Sat 16-Feb-13 18:52:44

Just wondering if anyone else has help paying for childcare from relatives?
If so do you claim tax credits on the full amount it costs for nursery or just the amount you pay?

Would really appreciate the help s I have a query

Thanks xxj

SamSmalaidh Sun 17-Feb-13 19:24:06

I haven't used childcare vouchers, but tax credits are just paid into your bank account rather than direct to the care provider.

NorthernLurker Sun 17-Feb-13 19:24:27

Maybe Xenia's thinking is that if an adult woman can't manage her mortgage and childcare bill and instead of making changes to her life wishes to carry on as she is, simply relying on Bank of Mum and Dad to bail her out, well perhaps said Bank may worry about where the money/judgement has gone?

SamSmalaidh Sun 17-Feb-13 19:26:40

Well I am very grateful and fortunate that my parents are willing and able to help me out financially, and DS is very happy at his nursery because of it smile

tabulahrasa Sun 17-Feb-13 19:31:47

If you're claiming tax credits anything paid by someone else needs to be declared.

Fightlikeagirl Sun 17-Feb-13 19:33:03

That's a good idea Op, then you will be able to claim your full entitlement of tc's and get help with the mortgage, win win! smile

Scootee Sun 17-Feb-13 19:35:13

Am amazed at some of the spite on this thread.

OP it's best if you pay the nursery fees out of your earnings and use any money your parents help you out with for something else, like elec bill, food, mortgage etc.

Viviennemary Sun 17-Feb-13 19:39:16

I can't see the problem with this. A lot of people get financial help from parents. If the parents give the OP money it isn't classed as income. And could be used for any kind of expense. That is how I would see it.

snowmummy Sun 17-Feb-13 19:55:31

I'm also amazed at the vitriol on this thread.

Hoaz Sun 17-Feb-13 20:00:08

I agree, lots of parents help with all sorts of costs. Were they planning to pay the nursery direct, or to give you something towards the cost of the nursery?

Actually, Viviennary I think you do need to declare regular gifts as income for tax and benefit purposes, particularly if that money is being spent on living expenses see here under other income

JuliesSistersCousinsAuntsCat Sun 17-Feb-13 20:02:56

Nothing wrong with a child's grandparents helping towards the costs of childcare, I know plenty who do (my parents not included).

Justine, claim for the amount you pay.

mum23girlys Sun 17-Feb-13 20:10:51

Justine what lovely kind parents you have. We're also lucky with both sets and get dance lessons, school shoes and winter jackets bought. I think if you get your parents to give you the money towards living expenses instead and pay nursery yourself then that would probably be best. I wouldn't call that benefit fraud as they are then not funding nursery.

I'm glad they are able to help you out so you are able to work.

montage Sun 17-Feb-13 20:16:15

A lot of grandparents help out by providing free or virtually free childcare. I would see this as a variation on that tbh, rather than as an indication that OP has difficulty managing finances.

Xenia Mon 18-Feb-13 07:28:16

It just cannot be paid to the nursery and should be for other costs under the tax credit rules.

For tax purposes (but not benefits see the rules above) though gifts in the UK are not taxed. If you give money to your children and survive 7 years there is no 40% inheritance tax paid when you die on that earlier gift so there is a lot of merit on gifts to children. If the family is on benefits however then you do need to read benefits rules.

LesbianMummy1 Mon 18-Feb-13 12:41:04

The op actually asked about how tax credits work. Nowhere did she say she was fraudulently claiming.

In answer to you op you tell tax credits the full amount of fees and they will pay up to 70% depending on your eligibility.

You may be able to use Childcare vouchers if your earnings are too high which are deducted from your wages before tax.

The forms are easily available. You will need your nurseries address & Ofsted registration number.

Good luck

Heebiejeebie Tue 19-Feb-13 07:00:00

Northern lurker, you might have been better lurking, not posting. Can you not imagine any 'acceptable', even to you, reasons for parents helping their adult children?

thesnootyfox Tue 19-Feb-13 13:42:24

Lots of parents help out their adult children, it doesn't mean that the adult children are irresponsible. Times are tough and if you are comfortable why not help out the younger generation if you can afford to?

Viviennemary Tue 19-Feb-13 14:03:32

I thought you would only have to declare a gift for tax purposes if it was over £3,000 a year to any one individual. (or used to be around that amount). Which it might be over I suppose in this case. But of course that is for the giver. I can't see any problem with parents helping out financially.

Xenia Tue 19-Feb-13 15:07:37

VM, that's right - after death they go back and ask for a declaration of gifts made in the 7 years before death of about that level. If parent were paying childcare which is often £25k a year for full time then they would be well over that limit but in most cases parents would be in their 50s if paying that so probably a long way from death. This was more a rule about tax credits which I have never been eligible for at all. If the parent just pays for something else not childcare then their child can still claim their tax credits.

tabulahrasa Tue 19-Feb-13 15:16:51

Any regular money counts as income for tax credits whether that is cash or paid straight for childcare, mortgage or any other household bills. Even if it is a gift from parents.

Tax credits aren't really that much to do with tax, they are an in work benefit to supplement the income of low earning families, if hat income is already being supplemented by someone else then that will also be taken into account.

Xenia Tue 19-Feb-13 16:16:00

It was this bit posted above which suggested the crucial issue was that you were paying for childcare. If your parent pays you are not paying for childcare.

"Because as I read it, she is claiming tax credits for nursery fees she is not paying herself.
From the HM Revenue and customs
If you work, you could get extra tax credits to help with your childcare costs. You can claim as soon as you start paying for childcare, and only for the amounts that are actually paid by you."

Whether your income is too high for tax credits at all is a different issue. I have never earned so little I got even a penny of them.

Mrscupcake23 Tue 19-Feb-13 20:52:30

Bet the op wishes she hadn't come on here. It's not really anyone's business if her parents want to help. It's between her and her parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now