Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

My parents pay my daughters nursery fees

(46 Posts)
justinemansfd Sat 16-Feb-13 18:52:44

Just wondering if anyone else has help paying for childcare from relatives?
If so do you claim tax credits on the full amount it costs for nursery or just the amount you pay?

Would really appreciate the help s I have a query

Thanks xxj

ReetPetit Sat 16-Feb-13 19:21:55

not meaning to be rude, but why do you parents pay your dds nursery fees?? hmm

if you work and claim tax credits, then you are meant to pay for nursery out of that. Are you only just starting work? If so claim the tax credits, pay for it yourself out of that and top up whatever you have to pay on top and tell your parents they don't have to pay for your daughter anymore!!

Meglet Sat 16-Feb-13 19:28:18

reet because childcare is expensive and her parents might want to help out? Grandparents paying for things isn't that unusual.

just I don't know about the TC thing, interesting question though. I'd guess the TC are based on the nursery fee's, it would be a faff for HMRC to start asking how much the grandparents pay.

justinemansfd Sat 16-Feb-13 19:48:40

Thanks meglet will ring them on Monday!
Reet you have no idea of my earnings or circumstances so your opinion really isn't helpful but thankyou anyway, cheers guys xx

Fightlikeagirl Sat 16-Feb-13 19:50:14

I don't pretend to know much about tax credits but would it not be fraud if you don't use the money to pay for childcare but you claim that you are?
Maybe your parents could help you out in another way such as groceries/rent/bills/clothing etc?
I know that in the past as a cm I have had to verify how much a certain family pay me for childcare and it was quite official stating that I would be liable if I was not truthful about how much I received.
Just to warn you really in case you ever get looked into.

SamSmalaidh Sat 16-Feb-13 20:29:19

I get tax credits to cover about 1/3 of DS's fees, grandparents pay another 1/3 and I pay the rest. I told TCs the full amount, not the 2/3s.

Bluemonkeyspots Sun 17-Feb-13 09:56:40

Would be interesting to find out if you can claim the money for childcare even though it's not being spent on it.

You would be onto a winner if you could anyway.

How are your patents planning on paying if you don't mind me asking? Will it go direct to the nursery or come to you to pay them?

Just thinking that if it came to you I can't see how anyone could prove it was supposed to be used for fees and not just living expenses.

Very nice of your parents to be doing this smile

insancerre Sun 17-Feb-13 09:58:45

Is that not fraud?
Benefit cheats come in all guises it seems.

SamSmalaidh Sun 17-Feb-13 10:40:04

How on earth is it fraud?

mrscog Sun 17-Feb-13 10:44:25

It depends on what you've claimed - on a TC's form you must only claim for the fees you pay - so if your bill was £250 per week but your parents pay £200 you must put that you only pay £50 per week.

For what it's worth I think there have been some spiteful comments on this so far. Op I'm pleased you have nice supportive parents who can help you out. smile

insancerre Sun 17-Feb-13 10:53:12

Because as I read it, she is claiming tax credits for nursery fees she is not paying herself.
From the HM Revenue and customs
If you work, you could get extra tax credits to help with your childcare costs. You can claim as soon as you start paying for childcare, and only for the amounts that are actually paid by you.

Fightlikeagirl Sun 17-Feb-13 11:00:42

Sam It could be classed as fraud as you're claiming that you're paying out an amount for childcare but you're not actually paying it all yourself.. To get around this could the grandparents not contribute to something else and you pay for the whole childcare bill yourself?

Not bring spiteful at all just offering advice.

thesnootyfox Sun 17-Feb-13 11:14:40

Use the money that your parents pay you towards groceries instead.

ZenNudist Sun 17-Feb-13 11:19:33

Insancerre that sounds like it answers OP's question. People were a bit quick to rush in and cry fraud when she was just asking for clarification.

OP if you need the help and your dps can afford it and want to then I'm sure they'd help out in other ways. Clothes, trips, treats or holidays? Then you can pay and claim nursery fees reasonably knowing you get support from your dps for things the state shouldn't have to pay for.

Catchingmockingbirds Sun 17-Feb-13 11:26:31

Are you asking if you should claim extra tax credits for nursery fees you don't pay and then keep it for yourself? No, ofcourse you shouldn't.

Fightlikeagirl Sun 17-Feb-13 11:28:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bluemonkeyspots Sun 17-Feb-13 11:35:02

Well the easiest way round it then would be to explain to your parents that it would help you out more financially if they could give you the "fees" money to use for living expenses and let your wages pay for the actual nursery that way you would not be doing anything wrong.

I'm sure your parents would be fine doing this if it was to help you out even more, it's not like it would make any difference to what they are paying you. Unless they are somehow uses childcare vouchers to save on tax but I'm sure it's only parents that can claim these?

Fightlikeagirl Sun 17-Feb-13 11:49:18

Yeah what bluemonkeyspots says or if your parents pay the fees to you there isn't an actual paper trail to the childcare setting anyway so would be ok. I was just saying that you could be in trouble if your parents pay the fee direct.

It is great to have parents who help out, I always take my dad with me on the new school uniform shop!!!

ReetPetit Sun 17-Feb-13 15:27:01

i know op said my opinion is not hellpful hmm but this is benefit fraud!! if you are not paying the childcare yourself you must tell tax credits that! all i was saying is why can you not claim the correct amount,pay it from that and relieve your parents of having to pay your dds childcare costs?

SamSmalaidh Sun 17-Feb-13 15:55:25

Get your parents to pay for something else then (or just give you the money as a gift every month).

Fightlikeagirl Sun 17-Feb-13 16:21:15

Apparently Reet we're being spiteful by pointing out it would be fraud, oh well!

justinemansfd Sun 17-Feb-13 18:31:25

Thanks guys,
I havnt actually started claiming tax credits but now I'm eligible I will probably pay all the childcare and get my parents to help out on the mortgage! Thanks x

Xenia Sun 17-Feb-13 19:06:57

No lawful but of course your parents can pay for other things and then no problem.
yes, get them to help out on the mortgage. They may want to pay direct to ensure the money isn't going on booze so they could make a monthly or annual over payment to your building society.

MirandaWest Sun 17-Feb-13 19:15:01

Xenia, why would the payment be spent on alcohol?

missmapp Sun 17-Feb-13 19:19:12

When I had an overpayment using childcare vouchers, it had to be repaid direct to cm as it could only be used on childcare( no problem as a huge amount of my money is only spent on childcare!) is this not the case with child tax credits??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now