Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Availability of part-time nannies. Advice needed.

(10 Posts)
LindaMcCartneySausage Fri 08-Feb-13 09:52:50

Background - I am 35wks PG with DC2. I have a DS who is about to turn 2. I will be starting a new, full time job in Jan 2014 when the new baby is approx 9 months and DS coming up 3. DH works full time in a pressured City job and often travels. My hours will be much more regular (working as an academic at local university).

We're in central London in a good area and we are trying to assess what to do for childcare. Our ideal childcare solution would be to have a (live out) nanny for 3 days a week, then use a nursery for 2 days. The reasons for the nanny/nursery combination is so that the DC's can play together/know each other, attend groups and be in their own home for part of the week. Also, DS is currently in a super nursery 2 days a week and he absolutely loves it - he is very sociable and thrives there and we wouldn't want to take him out. I am assuming - at this point - new baby will be similar.

My questions are:

Are there nannies out there who are looking for 3 days a week? How easy will it be to attract applicants?
I am a bit ignorant on tyoical rates of pay - any advice?
When should I start looking for a nanny and organising an induction if I want, say, a 2nd Jan 2014 start?
I don't know anyone after a nanny share, so would prefer to organise a part time nanny rather than depend on a nanny share - realistic?
We have no family nearby, so a nanny with flexibility if children are ill and can't go to nursery would be good. Realistic?
I think i can be flexible with which 3 days the nanny works and which are nursery days.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

ceeveebee Fri 08-Feb-13 10:03:43

I work 3 days a week and we have a part time nanny. I think a lot of parents work part time nowadays so more nannies have to take 2 jobs as a consequence

Typically £12/hour gross in London (thats what I pay).

A nanny share is where a nanny works with two families on the same days eg five days a week but caring for DCs from two families at the same time, you split her (higher) pay- its not really applicable here I think

If you get a 3 day nanny she's likely to have another job on the other two days. So its probably doubtful she could also take your DCs if they are sick. I was very glad this week that we have a nanny rather than nursery as both my DCs have had D&V so I would have had to take annual leave but my wonderful nanny was able and willing to look after them (although I've done shorter days as felt guilty)

I recruited through gumtree and she worked with us for a few months while I was on maternity leave - I found it hard coping on my own as had twins and DH works very long hours. So can't really advise on timescales. I would recommend a week's induction so that the little ones are used to her.

Good luck!

LindaMcCartneySausage Fri 08-Feb-13 10:19:46

Thank you!

I am new to this, because I've been a SAHM since DS was born. Ahhh, I had assumed that nanny share was when you find a partner family and split up the working week between you - now I know! You're right - I don't want a nanny share.

Can I ask what hours your nanny does? Do you have a written contract? We were thinking of 8am-6pm, although as I will be working as an academic, I will have some days when I'm not teaching and finish earlier

ceeveebee Fri 08-Feb-13 12:31:06

She does 8am-7pm - I have an hour commute and wanted to give myself a bit of a buffer at either end of the day in case of train delays etc

Yes, we have a contract of employment - I use a payroll agency called PAYE for Nannies who charge around £130 per year to calculate wages and handle tax filings, and they also drafted the contract for us as part of their fee.

Best of luck with it all!

fraktion Fri 08-Feb-13 22:16:58

A contract is a legal requirement so you should either draw one up yourself or have a payroll agency.

8-6 is fairly standard and 3 days shouldn't be a problem, particularly if you can be a little bit flexible on which days. As you're offering a part-time job it's very important to negotiate a gross (before tax and employee NI) salary. A net salary with a nanny who already has another job will land you on a BR tax code which will push up your costs hugely.

There's a good basic guide here

EverybodysSnowyEyed Fri 08-Feb-13 22:25:28

my nanny does 10 hour days 3 days a week - so she is doing 30 hours - a lot more than some people do in a week! She does 8-6. She does ad hoc days with another family and also does babysitting so she easily does a full time working week

Agree that you should build in a commuting buffer and agree a gross salary.

We have a contract and use a payroll agency to sort that out. it's very easy. Make sure you know what you want before negotiating the contract - there are standard ones on the internet

Good luck!

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 08-Feb-13 23:09:26

Some nannies love working 3 days (I am one) though others may need 5 days so will need to get another 2 day job so fab if you can have any 3 days

Def agree a gross salary

Can you provide a car?

8-6 are lovely hours

I would start looking late aug/ early sept. many nannies have 2mths notice so this gives you a month plus to find nannies - interview - check ref. 2nd interview etc

LindaMcCartneySausage Sun 10-Feb-13 14:39:08

Wow, thanks everyone for your amazingly good tips.

Fraktion - your point about gross salary negotiations is great. Thank you.

blondeshavemorefun - we can provide access to our car. We live in central London and DH and I would walk or take the bus to work - our car rarely moves during the week. TBH, we have lots of child friendly activities, parks and shops on our doorstep, so doubt any nanny will need/want to use a car much.

Walking to/from work (about 25 mins for me) should mean that even if there's a general strike, I'll be able to get home.

Any other thoughts or tips gratefully received!

LovelyNanny26 Wed 03-Apr-13 18:30:43

Im a nanny and ill be happy to work 3 full days.

nannynick Wed 03-Apr-13 19:57:16

Consider how the nanny would get to your home. Have in you mind what you feel is a reasonable commute for the nanny to do, as you may get a lot of applications and it may be a factor to consider when narrowing down very similar applicants. Also consider things like parking a car if the nanny drives to work... as your car is at home most of the time is there space for nanny to park, is there a permit required (are you able to get one?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now