Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny not working in child's home

(6 Posts)
helsinkihelen Fri 18-Jan-13 14:22:39

Is it possible for a nanny to look after two children , from different families in one of the child's house? A friend of mine is getting a nanny who is working for another family to look after their my mind in order to do this the nanny would have to become a registered childminder?? WOuld they also need to employ the nanny rather than pay the nanny an hourly wage as you would a childminder?
Thanks for your help :0)

eeyore12 Fri 18-Jan-13 14:48:36

Yes she can do this it is called a nanny share (a childminder has the children at her home) they will need to employ her though as she can't be self employed. The two families could come up with another way to pay her where the main family pay her and then the other family give them the extra money. But much better that they both employ her and pay seperatly.

nannynick Fri 18-Jan-13 17:03:03

As eeyore12 says, it's fine when it's Family A and Family B getting together and the care is provided in either Family A's or Family B's home.
Suggest to your friend that they join Mumsnet (or at least browse it) and look at message threads in this section about nanny shares, in particular about the tax arrangements such as this recent message thread which mentions both families being employers in their own right, rather than Family A employing the nanny and Family B paying some of the cost to Family A.

girlsofsummer Mon 21-Jan-13 11:16:28

Yes of course this sounds like a normal nanny share

DeafLeopard Mon 21-Jan-13 22:06:08

If the nanny wanted to care for the children in the nanny's own home then they would need to register as a CM I believe

helsinkihelen Tue 22-Jan-13 01:01:19

Thanks all, really helpful :0)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now