Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I'm feeling a bit scared here...Tax question

(29 Posts)
offandcold Thu 17-Jan-13 09:33:26

Hi there,

I really hope you can help me ! I'm a cm and before anyone says anything I'm off today smile so no children. Last year, I paid about 1100 pounds of taxes.

This year I was expecting to pay the same as my turnover is almost the same as year and my expenses the same so I have saved accordingly.

However I have filled my tax return and it says that I owe them 3.700 ??

Out this amount, 2.500 pounds is for class 4 and student loan !

Is there something wrong with it ?

MrAnchovy Thu 17-Jan-13 17:16:42

Total allowable expenses is exactly £7,900 which seems strange - this figure should be everything you have spent on allowable expenses PLUS £2,332 which is 10% of your income as wear and tear allowance.

Do not use listentotaxman, that site is for employees not the self employed.

As a really quick and rough way of working out the total tax and NI for the year, take your profit of £16,000, take off £7,500 to get £8,500 and multiply this by 29% to get £2,465.

What was your profit last year?

offandcold Thu 17-Jan-13 19:54:50

Hi Mranchovy,

My profit last year was 15691 pounds.. I have accepted that I'm going to pay a huge bill..a lesson has been learnt !

Willdoitinaminute Thu 17-Jan-13 20:18:50

What dates do you use for your accounts? When is your end of year?

teenagersmother Fri 18-Jan-13 07:50:08

Your profit seems veryhigh for childminding. Are you sure you have offset all of your allowable expenses ? Might be worth checking out further for future reference.
(Sorry if that sounds rude, it's not meant to)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now