Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How far in advance to research childminders?

(13 Posts)
poopnscoop Mon 21-Jan-13 09:46:35

It differs... I focus on the under 3s... So don't abide by school terms. I'm always full and have a waiting list... Included on there are a couple of babies not born yet.

When I have a vacancy open up it's due to a redundancy/house move/mum having another baby so lessening the hours of her older child... Which can happen anytime in the year.

If you are in an area where there is a huge demand for Early Years childcare I would start looking ASAP. Good luck! smile

Phineyj Sat 19-Jan-13 14:02:23

Thanks minderjinx, that is a very useful tip!

minderjinx Wed 16-Jan-13 10:48:13

I have had several enquiries about September places, but no-one is yet able to commit firmly as the school places allocations don't come out until March. There will then be a bit of a scramble I expect! Of course in other areas (or indeed if private schools are your choice) there may be less or no likelihood of being allocated anything other than first choice.

slev Wed 16-Jan-13 08:13:39

Ah, that makes sense - thank you. So I guess no harm in starting to look but will be a bit pot luck as depends on people's individual situation. Veyr useful advice - thanks!

HSMM Tue 15-Jan-13 17:41:35

I am charging a deposit and not a retainer, because I don't have a space now to retain, because the space is not available until September. If I had a space now I would charge a retainer.

slev Tue 15-Jan-13 08:58:53

So would most people charge a deposit rather than a retainer then? DS will transfer to pre-school from nursery in September so I'll need a childminder then, but I'd assumed that anyone I found now would charge a retainer and can't afford to pay that on top of nursery fees - but maybe it is worth starting to look now?

calmlychaotic Mon 14-Jan-13 23:47:29

I would start looking now, childminders could be losing children in September if they are starting school so would be happy to take a booking now, I have contracts signed to start in September.

NickNacks Mon 14-Jan-13 12:47:31

Same i had someone come recently about a September space.

HSMM Mon 14-Jan-13 12:45:15

Someone came to see me at the weekend about my September space.

yellowsubmarine53 Mon 14-Jan-13 11:35:48

I would start calling round pretty soon and be prepared to put a deposit down if I found one that I'd definitely like to use.

It's also worth calling the nurseries fairly soon to get an idea of their vacancies coming up - September is usually a big movement time in childcare as one bunch of children start school, so it's worth keeping an eye on the situation.

ZuleikaD Mon 14-Jan-13 11:32:59

What Twinkle said. I already know, for example, that I will have a fulltime place in September, but if someone wanted to book it now then I would ask for a deposit.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Mon 14-Jan-13 11:04:18

Most will know now what spaces they will have with other children starting school, but if you find one you really want to use you may have to pay a retainer or a deposit for the place if you want to guarantee them having one.

Phineyj Mon 14-Jan-13 10:43:24

I will need childcare from September when I go back to work. I put my DD on the waiting list for various local nurseries this summer, as most round here (London/Kent borders) seem to have a year's waiting list. However, I'd like to look into childminders too - can anyone advise me how far in advance they tend to work -- is it worth enquiring now about a place for September? Thanks for any tips!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now