Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Final straw ? Nanny WWYD ?

(12 Posts)
Mosman Thu 10-Jan-13 10:57:14

Ok, ignore anything I've written before, purely on these incidents alone.
* 12 year old left in charge of toddler, outside the front of the house, gates open, very busy road whilst nanny gathers hats, water bottles etc. 12 year old leaves toddler alone to come in and tell nanny something. Nanny shouts at 12 year old and grabs her face - child says this is a slap around the face, nanny's version is it's a grab to empathise seriousness of the matter.
* Nanny looses 8 year old in park, demands 10 year tells her where 8 year old is and gets huffy when 10 year old says she doesnt know.
* kids don't get an ice cream and are all brought home from park due to 8 year old running off but i actually think this is more to do with nanny being pissed off that she had lost sight of her.

I feel like i'm going bloody round the bend, our childcare options are so limited here, the kids say they really like her. I don't want to call my 12 year old a liar about the slap but kids do exaggerate i realise this equally what message does it send if it did happen and i let the nanny come back tomorrow.
And then there's the lack of supervision.
WWYD ?

ZuleikaD Thu 10-Jan-13 11:03:30

She sounds awful - I'd sack her on the basis of those incidents alone.

iluvkids Thu 10-Jan-13 11:13:59

Sack her.

She cannot keep your children safe, and as for 'grabbing' a child's face... ....She clearly hasn't installed boundaries very well, and doesn't know that its 'all' in the 'tone' of voice.,..

iluvkids Thu 10-Jan-13 11:16:30

oh and if your still keen on getting a british nanny, theres a nanny on NJ who'd love to nanny in perth, whos a brit.

Mosman Thu 10-Jan-13 11:17:40

You're right I was 99.9% sure she had to go

Strix Thu 10-Jan-13 11:42:34

She clearly thinks she can delegate the responsibility for the children, which of course she can't.

Disciplinary action? absolutely.

Sack her? erm... maybe. Check your contract for the legality of this. Have you clearly outlined terms which will put this behaiour in the immediate dismissal category. Probably you can. But just make sure you as an employer are acting reasonably and lawfully.

Mosman Thu 10-Jan-13 11:59:44

Still within probation so we've done it, sad because she is a nice person but I honestly think the job was too much for her or anyone including me

ZooAnimals Thu 10-Jan-13 13:04:06

Grabbing a child by the face? Get rid.

The rest of it is ok though. A 12 year old should be able to supervise a 2 year old for a few minutes.

Asking a 10 year old where the 8 year old is, fine. 'Get's huffy' is very vague. I assume you weren't there?

No ice-cream and coming home because she ran off? Fine, though I would have got the other children an ice cream.

I know we're supposed to ignore what you said last time, but you really need to talk to your kids about their behaviour. Running off in the park and unable to watch a younger child for a few minutes without wandering off at 8 and 12 is ridiculous (as is all the stuff on the other thread pen lids/lunch bags/clothes etc).

Stars22 Thu 10-Jan-13 13:52:11

Im a nanny.

grabbing by the face is not ok- should get a written warning. If it was a slap then i would say that should count as instant dismissal. I havent read your previous posts but from this post it sounds as tho the nanny can not cope with 4 children to look after. In the park i could see how an 8 year old could possibly go out of site as it is hard to have your eyes on 4 children at once especially with other children around too. Im not sure how mature your 12 year old is but if it was a busy road then the nanny really should have known better and taken the toddler with her. In the park i dont think the 'coming home' was necessarily that bad as it probably really scared the nanny, it depends what the 10 year old actually did, if they went in an area/or too far and knew that wasnt ok then i would have suggested the others all had an ice cream and the misbehaving child didnt.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 10-Jan-13 14:00:35

again get rid of her

yes a 12yr should be able to keep an eye on a 2yr for a few mins, then again an organised nanny would collect water/suncream etc before leaving the house or take 2yr back in the house if on a busy road

children wander in parks, its up to the nanny to keep and eye on them

punishing all with holding ice creams is unfair sad

seems you dont want to get rid of her as then you need to find childcare asap

Mosman Thu 10-Jan-13 14:08:23

She's been dismissed

BitOutOfPractice Thu 10-Jan-13 14:10:20

Good I would've sacked my nanny for laying a finger on my child whether it was a grab or a slap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now