Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childminder vs nannyshare

(5 Posts)
NinjaChipmunk Mon 07-Jan-13 11:56:53

ok, so when ds was a baby he went to nursery but we can't afford to do that for dd. I know very little about childminders and nannies so could really do with some clarification.
I go back to work after easter, probably 2.5 to 3 days a week. Having spoken to friends I know I'm looking at about £5 to £6 ph for a childminder in my area (greater sw london). What would a nannyshare be likely to cost and what would they do that is different to a childminder? It would be to look after dd (who will be about 9 months by then) and pick up ds from school and look after him for a couple of hours.

fraktion Mon 07-Jan-13 12:51:13

A nannyshare is in your house or your share partner'. It's unlikely to be cheaper than a CM if the going rate is £5-6 for just your DD but factoring in afterschool and holiday for your DS it may be worth it.

With a nanny you become an employer and bend to consider holiday, sik and maternity pay. A CM is self-employed.

A CM may later be able to deliver the funded hours. It would take a big legislative change for a nanny to do that.

CMs can automatically be paid with vouchers, a nanny would need to be registered with OFSTED which is possibly an extra expense for you, although outweighed by the saving.

NinjaChipmunk Mon 07-Jan-13 13:22:40

thanks, thats exactly the type of info i needed. I think it will have to be a childminder. Now to set about trying to find someone.

nannynick Mon 07-Jan-13 13:43:10

I agree, childminder. Contact council Family Information Service for a list of registered childminders. Also ask around at school as there may already be childminders collecting from the school.

sleeplessinderbyshire Mon 07-Jan-13 16:04:40

childminders are often more expensive than nurseries in my experience and do sometimes ask you to provide your own food which adds considerably to the cost (and hassle) so that may be worth bearing in mind

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now