Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is this cheeky to ask the cm?

(20 Posts)
BeOrganised Sun 06-Jan-13 14:10:30

I provide all food for my 2 dcs that go to the cm. I will be leaving quite early so do you think I can bring her milk and a pack of weetabix and ask her to make it up for them??

She is lovely and probably would if asked but I don't want to ask if it's a bit rude?!

NickNacks Sun 06-Jan-13 14:11:44

Yes of course! Exactly the sort of thing we are here for.

BoysAreLikeDogs Sun 06-Jan-13 14:12:44

god yes, no problem. I would happily do that, and if it was REALLY early drop offs I would be saying pffft bring them in their jammies, I'll get 'em dressed for you

It doesn't sound cheeky to me. Ds always has porridge with our cm and she always makes it but it is in our contract that she provides food. Even if you array supposed to provide food it should be ok, surely its no big deal to pour milk on cereal?

And I bet she gets asked all sits, this will probably be one of the simpler requests she has!

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 06-Jan-13 14:17:07

why do you think its rude?

your cm is there to tend to all your dc's needs while in her care so if there at breakfast time then surely she will feed them-whether you supply the food or not

sure she has milk but if you feel happier to provide weetabix then sure will be fine smile

most cm's i know provide all meals, though know some on mn dont for various reasons

BeOrganised Sun 06-Jan-13 14:20:35

An that's good! Erm I thought maybe I should be preparing it so that she could just take the lid off and give it to them. She is the first cm I have ever used, (looked after dc2 for a year already whilst I was at Uni) and I have heard of cm who offer food and that would be sooo much easier but because she is lovely and close by I will continue with her for as long as she will have us!

BeOrganised Sun 06-Jan-13 14:21:38

And boysarelikedogs, I would love it if she offered to dress them! If she offered I would say yes, that would save even more time.

FelicityWasSanta Sun 06-Jan-13 14:25:07

Pouring milk on weta id hardly counts as food prep does it?

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 06-Jan-13 14:25:25

have you asked if she will supply food? maybe be worth an ask and make your life easier

BeOrganised Sun 06-Jan-13 14:28:19

No she definitely doesn't supply food, I have used her for a year already with dc2. They like their weetabix warm, so the milk will need to be warmed! I feel silly for asking now, but at the time I did honestly think maybe it was rude.

BeOrganised Sun 06-Jan-13 14:29:52

Can I ask those who include food in your prices, is your hourly rate increases because of this? I am paying £4.50 an hour and I am in London. Compared to a nursery this was so much cheaper.

lechatnoir Sun 06-Jan-13 14:34:50

Even If she doesn't want to get involved in food prep, I really can't imagine a thermos of hot milk each day and a box of weetabix for the month will be a problem. I do breakfast for any coming before 8am & little ones usually come in pj's plus have a named toothbrush for each of them wink

BeOrganised Sun 06-Jan-13 14:37:02

Wow, you childminders are very good!

merryng Sun 06-Jan-13 14:39:18

Blimey BeOrganised, that sounds good. I pay £7.50 per hour to my CM who provides food (and has an 'outstanding' Ofsted, so I guess that might be why she can charge more?!)

BeOrganised Sun 06-Jan-13 14:44:44

Yes that must be it probably! I must say though she dropped her price right to the minimum so she could to accommodate me! She is too lovely. She actually asked me to name a price I could afford and I had to say noo! You pick your price and I will find a way to pay it. Full time for 2 dc made my face look like this shockshockshock plus I have dc3 childcare (breakfast club and after school so not that expensive).

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Sun 06-Jan-13 14:49:29

Bloody hell, if I thought my CM would think that was rude I wouldn't be able to use them. Just ask her if you can give her the box of weetabix and a 'bottle' (what do you call it now when it's not a pint and not a bottle??) of milk for the week and ask her if she minds warming the milk for them, do NOT start faffing with a thermos of milk every day.

Having said that - I can't imagine using a CM where I had to provide food, nor being a CM where you ask the parents to provide food, what an enormous FAFF. Much easier to just charge a little bit more and do the food yourself (IMO).

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Sun 06-Jan-13 14:50:26

Other than the 'providing your own food nightmare' she sounds lovely smile

HSMM Sun 06-Jan-13 16:16:30

The only reason I would say no is if we had to leave straight on a school run and I didn't have time to do breakfast ... or if your DC would be sitting eating breakfast in front of another child who had already eaten theirs at home.

Apart from that ... no problem at all.

I provide all food, but charge a bit more than another local CM who does not.

HSMM Sun 06-Jan-13 16:17:37

And ... I still wouldn't think it cheeky to ask, even if I couldn't do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now