Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Christmas bonus?

(24 Posts)
rumtumtugger Thu 13-Dec-12 17:58:22

How much of a Christmas bonus do people usually give their childminder? I was thinking a big box of chocs for her family plus 2-4 weeks bonus???

SoldeInvierno Thu 13-Dec-12 18:18:05

that seems extremely generous. Most employers only give about 3% to 5% to general employees (ie, not people with bonuses built into their contracts)

EverybodysSnowyEyed Thu 13-Dec-12 18:19:56

We gave ours 3% and a present

anewyear Thu 13-Dec-12 18:53:44

Last year one set of parents gave me a bottle of red and a white, Another gave me a boxed set of Sanctuary products, and another I got a bottle of wine.
No CM round this way get bonus's, would be nice tho..

EverybodysSnowyEyed Thu 13-Dec-12 18:58:04

Sorry - saw you meant childminder. I meant my nanny!

As a childminder isn't an employee I don't think a bonus is appropriate. However, if you have the funds and you think she deserves it then maybe vouchers or something?

wednesdaygirl Thu 13-Dec-12 19:43:45

A bonus shock
Ive been a cm for 15yrs and best ive got is a box of chocs

FeelingOld Thu 13-Dec-12 20:25:32

I usually get wine, flowers, chocs, biscuits, ornaments etc. I don't expect to get anything so getting any of these is lovely, would definitely not expect a cash bonus.

AnitaBlake Thu 13-Dec-12 20:28:38

We gave a bonus to our CM last year and will again this year, along with a nice bottle. She's amazing and DD adores her, it seems only right to me.

Festivedidi Thu 13-Dec-12 20:33:26

Well I certainly can't afford a 2-4 week bonus for ours!! I'm amazed that anyone would be that generous personally but if you can afford it then I'm sure she would appreciate it.

I get ours a nice box of chocs and some smellies. Probably spend between £10 and £15 as that's what we can afford.

Arisbottle Thu 13-Dec-12 20:36:24

We have a home help and we get her a present, this time a weekend away and we pay her for the two weeks she is not working.

ninjanurse Thu 13-Dec-12 20:50:56

I always get my CM a box of chocs and a £20 voucher smile

bamboostalks Thu 13-Dec-12 20:54:33

When dd went 3 days I gave cm £100 voucher plus bottle of good red wine, she's a wine connoisseur. Now ds is there for 1 day only, it'll be £50 voucher and wine.

rumtumtugger Thu 13-Dec-12 22:06:14

Ah ok. My neighbour (American, tipping culture) was saying she gave a few weeks bonus, but it seems that's unusual. Thanks for the suggestions.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 13-Dec-12 23:50:31

2-4 weeks bonus - wow

I've usually had a weeks wages and small pressie from children

That's very much appreciated if family can afford it

But a months salary

'Blondes faints'

Strix Fri 14-Dec-12 08:58:18

I am American, and I don't give the childminder a bonus. I'll give her a gift at the Christmas party she is throwing for the kids. But, I thought a bonus was for an employee?

2-4 weeks for a childminder is certainly extraordinary. But, if you can and want to, hey why not? 'tis the season.

minderjinx Fri 14-Dec-12 09:02:31

I'd say a gift would be more usual, or perhaps a voucher if you aren't sure what she would like.

ZuleikaD Fri 14-Dec-12 10:06:58

I'm a CM and I'm certainly not anticipating a bonus!

MissNJE Fri 14-Dec-12 10:53:09

I am a nanny and I don't expect anything. I much prefer a good relationship during the rest of the year than money or expensive gifts.

I once worked for a family that wasn't very nice to me and superloaded (think own jet etc.) who gave me one months gross salary. It was around 3k. I was shock .

From other families I got either a weeks salary or other presents.

MarshmallowCupcake Fri 14-Dec-12 22:04:59

With one job I had, I got the 2-4 week bonus you've suggested - I was completely overwhelmed! Really made me feel appreciated and loved. They were a great family.
I get a lot less now but I still appreciate what I get!

bunnymother Fri 14-Dec-12 22:07:46

We pay a week's salary to our full time nanny, as well as a small present.

ImagineJL Fri 14-Dec-12 22:27:27

Am I reading this correctly? People are giving up to 4 weeks wages extra as a bonus? That's crazy surely, unless you're massively rich. My nanny works 3 days a week for me, earning about £400 per week. Are some of seriously saying you'd give a bonus of £1600?

It's different for child minders because the hourly rate is far less, but surely no nanny would expect that kind of bonus?

nannyof3 Sat 15-Dec-12 02:21:44

Im a nanny and got a box of chocs last year, and the family have mega money. This year for my bday, i got nothing !!

MarshmallowCupcake Sat 15-Dec-12 12:15:29

ImagineL - no nanny expects a bonus of 4 weeks!! Not many nannies get a bonus either but when we do, we really appreciate it!
A thoughtful gift is more than enough.

GrimAndHumourlessAndEven Sat 15-Dec-12 12:44:43

yes a thoughtful gift, a wonky tree dec from the children, maybe a nice handcream. A bonus is incredibly generous, what a lovely idea, lucky CM to be working with you, rumtum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now