Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

FT employed nanny does regular extra paid babysitting - what do to about tax?

(14 Posts)
MissNJE Sun 09-Dec-12 17:27:39


I am a FT employed nanny and my family pays all my tax and NI. Lots of families have asked me now to do regular babysitting in the evenings, especially the weekend. What is the best thing to do about paying tax on the extra income?

Thanks, NJE

whatsleep Sun 09-Dec-12 17:50:12

if your paid in cash I would do what every other babysitter does and stick it straight in your pocket! Just like waitresses do with tips!

nocake Sun 09-Dec-12 17:51:55

If you want to pay tax on it you should contact the tax office and tell them you have additional income. They will ask you to fill in an annual tax return then they can calculate the additional tax.

forevergreek Sun 09-Dec-12 22:43:50

whatsleep- and that is illegal...!

do your employers pay someone like nannytax? if so maybe find out who and ask them where to go/ what to do (all info should be on payslips)

whatsleep Sun 09-Dec-12 22:54:00

She's not babysitting for her employer just casual babysitting for other families. I don't believe for one minute that other babysitters declare their babysitting income to the inland rev?!.....hmm

forevergreek Sun 09-Dec-12 23:02:21

People should though that's the point. Whatever income you earn should be declared. If an experienced nanny in London babysits every night ( mon-fri) for say £10per hr, at 4 hrs an eve, thats £200 a week. Add on some weekend work and it's easily £300 extra ontop of regular nanny work. I know many don't do that much as its tiring, but the point is anyone can.

Op is correct in asking how to declare.

whatsleep Sun 09-Dec-12 23:06:45

I know that legally you should be declaring the extra income, but would you forever...really?

forevergreek Sun 09-Dec-12 23:23:51

Yes we do

I'm also a nanny but only work for set employers ATM as have plenty of overtime as it is. But if that changed then yes

My dh works full time, but does private work also, of which every penny is declared

It would be bad for us not to declare. We wouldn't be able to rent/ get a mortgage etc as our total income would be false. If we needed x amount which we earnt but declared less they would have no idea. It also affects our pensions etc in the future

I'm a nanny ( 2 degrees, well qualified), I'm not just a cash in hand babysitter.

MissNJE Sun 09-Dec-12 23:42:48

I think it is one thing if you are a student/teenager and do occasional babysitting work BUT I am a FT nanny and get £10 per hour babysitting. I have been asked by so many families now and would easily do at least one night per week babysitting. Let's say I do 4 nights a month earning a total of £200, that would be 2,4k a year that I don't declare.

mrswishywashy Mon 10-Dec-12 08:11:19

You could put the earnings through as self employed. Means a call to the HRMC and they should send you info. If you do this I'd pick up an invoice book and write invoice for each job done. Then you can keep track of your earnings, I'd also put. Third of your self employed earnings aside to pay your tax.

fraktion Mon 10-Dec-12 09:34:24

I always declared mine. The idea that you can just pay cash in hand under the table for any kind of childcare doesn't do anything to help the wider issues affecting the industry. HMRC estimates that they lose £57m per year in undeclared childcare.

whatsleep Mon 10-Dec-12 16:30:48

Think I will just sneak away from this thread, I clearly have a very different view on this matter!

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 10-Dec-12 17:11:49

any extra money you earn whether bs/proxy parenting etc should be declared and tax paid on it

op asked how to declare it, ring tax office and say you want to pay tax on what you earn and they will send you a form/fill in online each tax year


if you are getting cash then up to you if you want to declare it or spend on food shopping that week smile what the tax man doesnt know about he cant want, but if you want to do it properly then ring the tax office smile

NotAChocolateRaisin Mon 10-Dec-12 19:27:36

Sorry but I wouldn't declare cash in hand paid for babysitting, but thats just me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now