We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.



Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Emergency Childminding - some points to consider THANK YOU

(12 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Wed 28-Nov-12 21:35:59

Minderjinx - some cm do charge a higher fee for ad hoc/emergencies like yourself. Have you been minding long? you seems very organised. As childminders we have our experiences which we learn from and put things into make to avoid them happening again.

minderjinx Wed 28-Nov-12 14:44:28

I think I may be in the minority here but I do charge more for ad hoc or emergency care. I do insist on meeting at least one parent and the child before starting, and with typically 45 mins to show them round, look at certificates, photos etc, fill in forms and contracts, perhaps only for three or four hours care, I think it is reasonable to recoup something for my time and paperwork, plus of course an unknown child may turn out to be very hard work on the day. And I charge the same as the school for a hot meal with pudding.

MUM2BLESS Wed 28-Nov-12 13:37:10

Sent info and spoke to parent.

Not going ahead. No money lost or contract signed.

Thanks for your comments on this. I think I will give thought to what I will include for parents in my emergency/ad hoc information

MUM2BLESS Tue 27-Nov-12 11:10:29

I am with Morton Michel. I do thave their contract but as I said it is quite a long one. More than likely after using my services on Mon and tues they may not need my services.

Morton Michel does cover if you use your own contracts.

I am not sure of the arrival time etc will get more details asap.

Flisspaps Tue 27-Nov-12 10:58:42

Like I said, I charge the same rate for ad-hoc/emergency as long term. Don't offer a meal and charge your standard rate if you don't usually do a meal.

I use the 4 page NCMA contracts, but I still have it filled in. Can the parent arrive earlier than needed to get it filled in?

Are you covered insurance-wise without one ie with a quickly self-drafted contract (if you have the NCMA insurance/membership are you not 'supposed' to use their massively overpriced contracts anyway)?

anothercuppaplease Tue 27-Nov-12 10:54:38

I charge the same rate, but it's only very occasional.

Or if it's a half day I charge my usual hourly rate.

MUM2BLESS Tue 27-Nov-12 10:50:25

Wow what a very quick response thanks

anothercuppaplease you mentioned permission forms. I think I will put one together asking for permission for various things.

Flisspaps My ocntract are very long. More than likely I will not see the parent until the day of arrival. They do not live in the same town as me. I may have to put together an emergency contract and email it to them. The food one is not so straight forward. I do not provide lunch or dinner for any of the kids, only a snack.

It been ages since I have provided lunch or dinner myself. If for example the school was to close I would seek permission for provide lunch for the kids who usually bring thems in from home. I have no ideas what to charge for Lunch or dinnner.

Do cm charge a higher rate for adhoc/emergeny cm?

I think I may ask the parents to provide the food etc themselves.

Flisspaps Tue 27-Nov-12 10:31:05

Charge what you charge the others dependant on the meal situation. Forget the fact it's 'emergency' care. If they want meals, charge what you'd usually charge as standard. If they don't want meals, charge what you would normally charge for that. Don't have a third rate for this family!

Flisspaps Tue 27-Nov-12 10:27:51

I'd give them everything a long-term minded child would need, so give them whatever you've used for other mindees.

I'd also suggest a 0 hour contract for ad-hoc hours so that they can come you should they need to in the future. I have one of these for one of my children as I am the 'stand-in' minder should their usual CM not be able to cover any extra hours they need.

MUM2BLESS Tue 27-Nov-12 10:26:05

I may give them the option of either providing the food etc themselves or I can provide it.

What would be a reasonable price for Lunch and dinner if provided.

some of my parents supply snacks etc (lower price charged per hours ) whilst I provide light snacks for some of the kids which is already included in the price(slightly higher price charged).

Thanks again .

anothercuppaplease Tue 27-Nov-12 10:24:18

Permission form - get them to sign permission for taking the child in thecar, administering first aid, etc. and if the child has any medical conditions, allergies, etc

MUM2BLESS Tue 27-Nov-12 10:20:15

I got a call from someone wanting me to childmind their daughter next week, I do not do emergency childminding very often

Need to let them have some information

Times of service, Price per child per hour

I know I need to get information from parents ie contact details etc.

What else do I need to include?

Thanks for your help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now