Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders, what would you do in this situation regarding sleep?

(7 Posts)
WarmBooties Fri 09-Nov-12 20:21:40

My 2 dc will be starting with a childminder 3 days a week come January. There is only a years difference between them.

DC nearly 2- has been going once a week for a year now, DC nearly 1 has just had his settling last week (on a different day from DD).

Anyway DS is a nightmare with sleep and milk when we are out- he just doesn't sleep no matter how tired. At home he has 2 long naps without fail..anyway, let me get to the point! I explained to CM how he was, and she really struggled to put him in the cot to sleep but managed in her arms. He was very tired that day- had been up since 5.30am.

However when they both start together I'm feeling a bit anxious that she will struggle... There is no way he will sleep if his sister is in the room! Even at home I have to either sir her with her older sis, or put peppa on and quickly feed and put him to sleep.

I didn't mention this to her as she seemed a bit.. Not stressed but a bit worked up that he wouldn't sleep! Any ideas?!

The cm is lovely and dd is like a part of their family- but I'm just wondering if she will be ok with both, as she can't leave either one on their own, and I don't want her to leave him to cry.. Sorry for the long post, just trying to think of ways it will be easier!

Goldmandra Fri 09-Nov-12 21:12:26

There are lots of ways to manage sleep routines as a childminder. For a start she could put him in a buggy in another room and stand in the doorway to rock him to sleep while still keeping an eye on your DD.

She a professionals and she's done a good job with your DD. Trust her to work this out.

WarmBooties Fri 09-Nov-12 21:27:57

Oh good idea! Well the reason I am worried is because I wouldn't really use the word professional.. I have a degree in early years, worked with children for over 10 years, and I have to give her a lot of advice, regarding paperwork, observations ect. BUT she cares for dd excellently, she has raised 3 children herself, I have no worries about her level of care. After seeing so many people with qualifications running off their cv but terrible with children, I prefer the 'mumsy' approach.

She had only one child before dd, so that's why I felt a bit worried adding DS in the mix! But the pushchair advice I will pass on. Thank you!

lechatnoir Fri 09-Nov-12 22:01:34

I agree with goldmandra - she is a professional and the fact you may be better qualified with higher level of education is neither here nor there IMO. She is a qualified & registered CM (I assume wink) and will use whichever strategies work for her when caring for your children as long as it's in the best interests of all the children in her care & not going expressly against your wishes.

You can tell her how you do it at home but in her home she is the childcare professional & your are the mum. you clearly trust her so I'd be inclined to take a step back but make it clear you're happy to work with her if she needs you.

ReetPetit Fri 09-Nov-12 22:01:37

hmm i'm sure she knows what she's doing op!!!

so she's not what you would call 'professional' does she need a degree to work out how to get a baby to sleep? No, I don't think so. She is a registered childminder who has raised 3 children of her own, i would trust her judgement.

babies are always worse behaved for their mum. he will probably be completely different with her than he is to you. and you say, you are the childcare profressional with the degree, but still can't get your ds to sleep? so i would say qualifications don't come into it!

WarmBooties Fri 09-Nov-12 22:10:57

Oh gosh, what I said sounds bad- but I know what I mean- maybe if I explain things more! Her first child was a friends child, she only registered so that her friend got the tax credits to help. She's told me she has no experience in that young of age except mine from last year and she was worried about 2.

In no way I meant I'm better than her because of qualifications- I've said myself I've seen loads of people with higher qualification than me, but when it comes to kids they don't have a clue.

I still stand by the not professional comment because she has said it! And she's more like a mum- as I'm not a professional either. I didn't mean to come across rude or stuck up so I apologise for that.

And for what its worth, he sleeps fine at home! He just feeds all night- which could be stopped by me refusing him, but I'm not going to do that... Anyway thanks for your comments!

nokidshere Sat 10-Nov-12 00:03:42

I wouldn;t worry - she will soon sort out a routine for them. As long as you don't expect it to be exactly the same as at home it will work out fine.

I have a little one who doesn't sleep at home during the day but happily climbs onto my sofa around 10am and zonks out for a couple of hours smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now