Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childcare vouchers and cm payment?

(11 Posts)
economistextra Fri 09-Nov-12 10:33:17

Hi,

I'm looking at cms and some accept childcare vouchers, do most cms out there accept childcare vouchers? Not sure if a cm who wants cash payment only may be a bit dodgy?

When paying with childcare vouchers, how does it work as I'd ask to buy a set amount per month from work, say £400 worth, and pay cm in advance, but if cm is off sick then I'm not due to pay for that day, do most cms reduce the following months fees in that case?

PenguinSalute Fri 09-Nov-12 10:38:57

I think most cm's accept vouchers, but you need to check they are registered with the company that provide your vouchers- there are lots of different providers. We would normally pay still if our cm was sick so no reduction next month, but not sure what your contract with your particular cm would look like? Also, the maximum you can claim as a basic rate tax payer in vouchers is £243 per month, less if you pay tax at the higher rate. The way most people do it is get an evoucher, then transfer it to their cm- kind of like online banking?

HSMM Fri 09-Nov-12 11:25:17

I accept vouchers. I have to register with each company. I accept some payments in cash ... nothing dodgy. Not all CMs take vouchers, so you just need to ask. As Penguin said, there is a maximum.

wishiwasonholiday Fri 09-Nov-12 11:40:03

My friend gets paid with vouchers, if she's sick she can't refund it in cash because they've not paid tax on it, so she just keeps a day in lieu (the mum often needs extra days if other people are Ill). But if this is not likely and the vouchers pay your bill in full you'd have to reduce how many you buy somehow if that makes sense?!

Italiana Fri 09-Nov-12 11:45:05

Most parents who pay by c/vs also top up the balance of fees by BAC, cheque or cash as agreed if their fees are above £243 or £124 paid by vouchers

If a c/m is sick you have to refer to your contract: how many days is she allowed for sick days, does she make up the lost days, does she have cover that you have agreed?

ZuleikaD Fri 09-Nov-12 13:30:34

Yes, the maximum you can get is £243 per month - that doesn't usually cover much childcare (would be less than five days in my case) so most parents top up with either BACS or a cheque.

If a CM is ill and can't work then you would usually not be charged for that day so it would probably be knocked off the next month's bill, but it's down to each individual contract.

If a CM wanted to be paid exclusively in cash I would assume she was fiddling her tax, but that's not necessarily a reflection on whether she's a good CM.

NoHank Fri 09-Nov-12 14:07:53

I except vouchers and am registered with 2 different providers. I would also accept cash (and there is nothing dodgy about me, honest guv!)

I get paid a month in advance. If I then had a time of sick in that month I wouldn't refund but would expect to be paid a day less the folowing month - my policies state I don't charge for days I am not available but other childminders do. It would depend on what is agreed in the initial contract

Italiana Fri 09-Nov-12 15:33:57

Cash is not a fiddle as long as it is recorded as income!!! Supermarkets get paid in cash...we don't assume they are on the fiddle so lets not assume this for c/ms...if some fiddle up to them ...worth their business?

economistextra Fri 09-Nov-12 15:37:21

Thanks all, I have found a lovely childminder today and she accepts childcare vouchers smile hooray for great childminders. She said she's never had a sick day and wouldn't charge if she did, so no issue there smile

Italiana Fri 09-Nov-12 15:50:17

One happy parent !!!

twinkletoescare Sat 10-Nov-12 09:53:32

I don't like this assumption that a cm being paid in cash must be "dodgy" or "fiddling tax" !!!!
Lots of ppl don't actually have bank accounts or pay all their bills in cash!
As italiana says supernarkets get paid cash as do all other shops,market traders,charity collectors etc etc.....

But I'm glad you've found a cm economistextra grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now