Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Am I right to be a it cross?

(10 Posts)
anothercuppaplease Fri 09-Nov-12 08:10:56

Or maybe I am just very upset.

I only look after three children as registered CM and on Monday- Tuesday I have one baby whose parents were ill this week with a stomach bug, they told me that the baby was ill on Saturday but by Monday he was OK, he was eating less than usual and a bit tired but OK. I looks after him whilst the parents were at home off sick from work. Anyway, I cought the bug, so obviously he was still contagious. I consequently lost my income for Wednesday, Thursday, now Friday and my two children have the bug. It's my son's birthday party tomorrow and I will have to cancel it, which cost me nearly 100 pounds without refund as it's too late now. Also we have tickets for tennis this Sunday at the o2 which cost us another 120 pounds, and we might not be able to go as DH will eventually get the bug if everyone had it. So this contagious baby cost me anything between 120 pounds to 300 pounds. I am fuming, really, that's all. I know what my policy said, abd I can't exacly blame the parents can I but I am still very upset. Especially for my son who is sick on his birthday and who was so looking forward to his birthday party.

Welovecouscous Fri 09-Nov-12 08:13:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZuleikaD Fri 09-Nov-12 08:32:22

Funnily enough I had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago. We generally can't afford to go away but I'd saved up my credit card airmiles for about six years and we had enough for a night away in London. We had PILs booked to look after the children, it was my husband's birthday and we were all set. Caught norovirus off mindee, as did husband and children and had to ditch the lot. No refunds as it was airmiles, and a lousy birthday.

Not the baby's or parent's fault, though.

greenbananas Fri 09-Nov-12 08:34:15

I'd be feeling cross too, but the parents followed your policies to the letter so you can't really blame them. What a shame though sad

ReetPetit Fri 09-Nov-12 10:26:48

YANBU.

I would be fuming. I can not believe they could be so selfish, and ro send the baby in when they were both at home anyway, well that says it all really.

this is why i have had enough of childminding.

i feel for you and for your son, that is awful. if it were me it would be enough reason for me to give notice.

hope you all feel better soon x

Wallison Fri 09-Nov-12 10:32:49

If the baby wasn't actually ill but recovering, are you sure you caught the virus from him? And even if you did, surely if you work with kids part and parcel of that is that you get bugs - happens to teachers as well. I don't see what else you could have done - I was in a similar situation once but the opposite way round where I had an absolutely awful tummy bug. My son was due to go to the childminder's but I was off work so I rang her and asked if I could drop him round later. She then refused to take him, even though he wasn't ill in the slightest - I on the other hand was very unwell indeed and so even though I was paying her for the bastard time he wasn't there, had to cope at home on my own with him. He didn't get sick after either. I was really really pissed off about the whole thing.

DangerousMouse Fri 09-Nov-12 12:50:20

I don't have much to add as agree with the above, just if you can't make the tennis we have been desperate for tickets, so we could offer you something for them!
grin
blush

anothercuppaplease Fri 09-Nov-12 12:58:56

Dangermouse, I will let you know!!

Karoleann Fri 09-Nov-12 13:03:17

I would be a little annoyed, but children do get sick. DS's school has a 48 hour after sickness or diahhorea from Nov-end Feb as its prime norovirus time and apparently you are infectious with it for longer.

DangerousMouse Fri 09-Nov-12 13:04:32

Thanks, I don't know how you'd get them to me in time but there must be a way.

I hope you are well enough to go anyway.. really I do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now