Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

how much should i pay for help over holidays?

(7 Posts)
calmlychaotic Thu 08-Nov-12 21:51:21

I normally employ an assistant but she is off over christmas and i'm still open, im a childminder. I have found someone who sounds ideal, they want to bring their own baby with them, which is fine but they will take up a potential place. If i charge them for a place i would be paying them very little so does anyone have a suggestion how much i should pay?

HolyBrrrrrrBatman Thu 08-Nov-12 22:23:25

How much would you pay them if they didn't bring their child? Are you likely to need this space as it's only over Christmas? I wouldn't have thought people normally start with a childminder during the Christmas holidays?!

calmlychaotic Thu 08-Nov-12 22:43:47

I would normally pay about £50 for a day, i would charge £30 for a childcare place so theoretically i should only pay £20 as this assistants child would take up a place and be just the same as the other minded children, except £20 a day is surely not worth anyones while.
I wouldnt be taking on new mindees, I woud just have my usual chldren and I mind a lot of doctors and other medical staffs children so its pretty much business as usual over the holidays, I will shut the bank holidays though!

HolyBrrrrrrBatman Thu 08-Nov-12 23:06:51

I think because it won't actually be costing you anything to have her baby there (i.e. her baby being there isn't taking up a space another child needs) I would pay maybe £35-40?

forevergreek Fri 09-Nov-12 14:10:31

Isn't £50 below min wage?

GrimAndHumourless Fri 09-Nov-12 14:18:17

How do crbs work for assistants ?

minderjinx Fri 09-Nov-12 14:46:42

You do have to pay the minimum wage (and pay tax/NI if applicable), and if you thought that was too generous, she would then have to pay you for childcare, which you would then need to count as (potentially taxable) income.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now