Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM's, do you discount for siblings?

(22 Posts)
NoHank Thu 08-Nov-12 15:09:30

And if so, how much discount do you offer?

Just curious really. I have had an enquiry from a parent looking for childcare for her 2 DD's for one day a week age 1 and 2.5. I do have the places available on the days she wants but if I take them on I would be full on this day so would not be take on any other children (and I have recently had another enquiry re a 7 month old who may want this day too)

Never had an enquiry for siblings before so just wondered what others did, thanks

NoHank Thu 08-Nov-12 15:10:42

*would not be able to

really must preview before I post!

HSMM Thu 08-Nov-12 15:35:08

I don't give a discount for siblings. I do put a longer notice period in the contract. They are a greater risk of money loss if they give notice.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 08-Nov-12 15:55:38

not a cm but have never understood why some cm's give a discount as that child is still using a place,esp if under 5 so why reduce your income by say 50p/£1 an hour and if all day at 10hrs and 5 days thats £5/10 over a week £25/50 over a year of 48 weeks thats £1200/2400 difference a year shock

YDdraigGoch Thu 08-Nov-12 15:59:21

I think it's like anything else - it's guaranteed income, rather than the off chance that the place might be filled. Accept that there's a greater risk that 2 children will leave at the same time though - so longer notice period is a good idea

NoHank Thu 08-Nov-12 16:09:12

I think I am going to quote the same price for each child because as you say, each child is taking up a place. Also I have had an enquiry from someone looking for 3/4 days a week and I am waiting on her getting back to me to clarify which days / hours. I'm pretty sure if I take on the 2 one day a week I won't be able to accommodate the other parent.

Which leads me to my next question grin If you have had a meeting with a parent and you don't wish to go ahead and offer them a place for whatever reason what do you say to them? What reasons do you give? Just curious really as I may be in a position to choose which parent to offer my spaces to but would not want to do this without meeting both first. But in order to meet with them I have told them that I do currently have spaces available (which is true, just not able to accommodate both of them) Hope that all makes sense!

wishiwasonholiday Thu 08-Nov-12 16:53:51

No they take up two spaces/car seats.

ZuleikaD Thu 08-Nov-12 18:21:53

Two places = double the cost. No discount. It's higher risk, as HSMM says - I would definitely have 8 weeks notice in the contract.

Runoutofideas Thu 08-Nov-12 18:27:09

I do offer a sibling discount but I'm starting to think it was a bit generous. The older 2 are school age though so it is only for a couple of hours after school and they have 3 children. I charge £5 for 1, £8 for 2 and £10 for 3. The rate for 3 will have to go up a bit at contract review but I feel a bit bad for the mum as I know it already costs her more than she earns and they are really lovely children.....

I wouldn't offer the same rates to a new family and definitely not for 2 under 5s.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Thu 08-Nov-12 19:21:35

I offer sibling discount for 2 pre-schoolers but not for school aged mindees unless it's for school holidays.

Where I live, parents often only want a few hours, a couple of times a week. It's quite unusual to be asked to do 10 hrs a day, 5 days a week which makes it difficult to fill up places so having 2 sibling mindees at the same time makes my life a bit easier in terms of filling spaces/days.

I don't offer discount for school-aged mindees because space in my car is limited and they eat loads grin!

DIYapprentice Thu 08-Nov-12 20:59:39

I never asked or was offered a discount for my two DSs, but neither did I have an extended notice period. TBH, if I was asked to have an extended notice period then I would want something in return for it, and a discount (on whichever sibling cost less, eg the school age one perhaps) would be a fair swap.

Italiana Thu 08-Nov-12 21:19:24

NOOOOOOOO!!!

ReetPetit Thu 08-Nov-12 21:29:50

No!

HSMM Thu 08-Nov-12 21:32:47

DIYapprentice ... how do you know your notice period wasn't longer than other parents? I am fair .. they give me 8 weeks notice, but I also give them 8 weeks notice as it would be hard to find space for 2.

Akasa Thu 08-Nov-12 21:59:34

As others have said, there is no rational reason to offer a discounted rate. You are doing two of everything whether the children are siblings or not (two learning journals, two invoices etc., etc.) with double the risk on termination so my usual one month is doubled to two months notice.

DIYapprentice Fri 09-Nov-12 00:10:17

HSMM - Because she told me! I had mentioned that other CMs did that (having read about it on MN) and she said she didn't agree with it. I did pay £6 per hour per child though.

In the end the decision to end the contract was agreed jointly several months in advance because of the difficulty of the school pick ups.

I guess that's the problem for most CMs though - she and I trusted each other to be as fair as we could be (I paid her early a few times when she needed it, picked up several hours early for Christmas in exchange for a few minor late pickups so she didn't have a reduction of income over that period, swapped days to enable her to take on another mindee).

I still catch up with her and her DC now, over a year later.

DIYapprentice Fri 09-Nov-12 00:12:15

Sorry, meant - the problem for most CMs is that while you would like to trust someone to be as fair as possible, you just never know. We were both fortunate in that we could trust each other.

HSMM Fri 09-Nov-12 07:45:21

DIY apprentice. Sounds like you had a great relationship. I stay in touch with most of my families too. It's nice to be able to follow a child's progress. DD is still best friends with a little boy I minded and they are both at secondary school now. I cared for him and his 2 sisters at full price with 8 weeks notice. I was honest and up front with his parents.

NoHank Fri 09-Nov-12 14:03:12

Thanks everyone - so no discount then! Which is what I was thinking anyway.

So have any of you turned down a parent who was interested in your services? And what reason or excuse did you use?

Runoutofideas Fri 09-Nov-12 14:44:28

I've turned down loads - mainly because they wanted times which didn't suit me, or I was full. I haven't turned down any who wanted hours which worked for me. (I work 3 days per week and term time only so am quite picky about days/times).

Chopsypie Fri 09-Nov-12 14:49:42

My childminder offers a discount, but not much. I pay £45 per day for two, but its £25 per child usually.
My notice is 6 weeks, I dont know if this is her usual or not.
HTH

HSMM Fri 09-Nov-12 18:12:55

NoHank - I had to turn a parent away once and although it was more about me thinking I could not work with the parent, I told them that the mix of children would not be right.

I was honest with a parent who wanted me to take his second son. The first child was a joy and came before and after school, no problem at all. The second child came in, barged past me and caused a riot and generally smashed the place up whenever they came to collect son 1. I had to say I just could not take him, because of his behaviour. The parent was not happy, but did give me a good reference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now