Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Am I allowed to pick up a child - not qualified

(13 Posts)
LittleTyga Thu 08-Nov-12 11:24:59

I've been asked by a parent/neighbour whose child attends my dd's school if I could take them in the morning and pick up in the afternoon until 5pm. Also look after during school holidays. I have no qualification - do I need insurance? I seem to remember the outcry when those two policewomen looked after each others babies while they worked - don't want to be plastered all over Daily Mail!! Is it legal? Am I allowed to look after my neighbours child for money? Child is 5

ZuleikaD Thu 08-Nov-12 11:36:14

Add up the time - if it's going to be more than two hours a day (and presumably in school holidays at least it will be) then you need to be a registered childminder.

LittleTyga Thu 08-Nov-12 11:54:39

Thank you Zuleika

KatyMac Thu 08-Nov-12 12:08:18

or do it at her house

LittleTyga Thu 08-Nov-12 12:17:19

Oh like a babysitter - I see - interesting thank you Katy

HolyBrrrrrrBatman Thu 08-Nov-12 12:23:55

If you look after the children at her house then you'd be a nanny and no need to register with Ofsted/be qualified etc. Insurance is not compulsory for nannies, but highly recommended. She would need to register as an employer and pay your tax/NI contributions.

If you want to look after them at your house then you need to be a registered childminder. You would be self employed and would be responsible for your own tax/NI contributions.

If your neighbour is suggesting a cash in hand arrangement, then yes it is illegal.

LittleTyga Thu 08-Nov-12 12:32:02

Ooh its a minefield isn't it? I feel for her but don't want to get myself in to trouble by helping her out! Might talk to her about the Nanny option - that may work - as long as I have my phone I can still work wherever I am! Thank you for your advice Holy.

Any advice on good insurance deals?

nannynick Thu 08-Nov-12 13:26:32

You would work whilst looking after the children?

nannynick Thu 08-Nov-12 14:42:36

I've been asked by a parent/neighbour whose child attends my dd's school if I could take them in the morning and pick up in the afternoon until 5pm. Also look after during school holidays.

That's a big commitment. Are you sure you want to do that? What if you want to go away during the school holidays as a family? What happens if your DD wants to do something after school (swimming lessons perhaps).

as long as I have my phone I can still work wherever I am
That sounds strange to me - are you saying you already have a job which you would be doing at the same time? If so, would your employer like you working for someone else at the same time?

Nanny insurance is £71 and a policy summary is here (policy summary for Nanny policy taken out 1st Dec 2012 or later)
The insurance underwriters may or may not offer you insurance... like all insurance it is available if you meet the underwriters requirements but they don't tell you what the precise requirements are. May be wise to give the broker a ring to discuss with them given you do not have training or I guess a CRB check (those are both asked about on the application form).

Is your neighbour likely to be paying a reasonable salary if you were to nanny at their home? Have they suggested anything regarding payment so far?

It will probably be cheaper for them to find a Registered Childminder than to employ you as their nanny (as nannies have to be paid NMW which could be over £6 an hour in your case). If they don't know where to start looking for a local Registered Childminder you could suggest they try Open Family Services website and their local Family Information Service (often run by the local or county council).

LittleTyga Thu 08-Nov-12 17:25:30

I work three jobs and have managed to raise two children and work so doesn't sound strange to me - The parent knows I'm self employed.

We haven't ironed out the finer details but we would have to discuss holidays etc. That's a good point about after school clubs - will make a note of that to discuss with her.

No we haven't talked about money yet - Said I needed to mull it over and I'll get back to her - I just can't turn down work! That's my problem : )

Thank you for all your advice and food for thought nannynick.

nannynick Thu 08-Nov-12 18:25:24

If the parent is happy for you to run your own business whilst caring for her child then that's fine.

NO is a word you know smile Someone had to point that out to me a few years back when I kept taking on more and more.

Maybe do some short dummy runs - have the child over to play at the weekend, or do you know the child well already?

HolyBrrrrrrBatman Thu 08-Nov-12 20:23:12

I've recently renewed my insurance and it was £60 from MortonMichel (but I think that included a discount for being Ofsted registered).

LittleTyga Thu 08-Nov-12 22:14:07

Thanks Nanny and Holy.

I'm going to phone the mum tomorrow to talk it through armed with my list of questions!

That is a good idea nanny about a few playdates or trial runs before I/we commit fully. We don't really know the child at all so would be useful, thank you for all your tips smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now