Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny Contract

(5 Posts)
Nomorepain Thu 08-Nov-12 08:24:14

Hi ladies,

I have managed to recruit a lovely nanny to look after my little ones. She is starting in jan. she will be self employed. She will also use her own car to drive the children around.

I need to sort out a contract for her. And I have no idea where to start!! Could you offer some advice?

I also want to arrange quite a few settling in sessions - how do I mange these? Do I have to pay for them all?

Many thanks

nbee84 Thu 08-Nov-12 08:54:06

Before sorting out the contract you need to sort out the self employed issue.

A nanny can only usually be self employed if she does short term temporary contracts. You can read more about it here.

SuperDuperJezebel Thu 08-Nov-12 08:55:01

Hi, I'm sure someone will be able to help you more with the contract side of things but just a few points
- it is VERY unlikely your nanny will can be self employed, from a HMRC point of view, unless for example, she can choose the hours and days she works, sets her own hours, works for you on an ad hoc basis, and is free to send someone in her place if she cannot make it.
- yes definitely pay for all settling in sessions - she's working (regardless of whether you are there or not), so should be paid for her time.

hope it all goes well!

ceeveebee Thu 08-Nov-12 08:55:46

Most nannies are not self employed, they are employees. If she is looking after them in your home, and its a regular arrangement (not as hoc like babysitting) I am pretty sure she will be your employee

You can use an agency such as PAYE for Nannies who will draft the contract and sort out wages, tax and NI

She'll need to inform her insurance company if she is using her car for business purposes ie as part of her job. She should also take out nanny insurance, and you should have employers liability (normally part of your house insurance policy already, but you should check)

Settling in - well my nanny started part time with me 3 afternoons a week for a few months as a mothers help for my twins, then when I went back to work she became full time. So I can't really help with that but it was good to have a long period as they knew her really well by the time I went back to work

nbee84 Thu 08-Nov-12 08:57:36

Pay particular note to the last 2 paragraphs of 'The exception to the rule'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now