Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Any childminders around with chickens?

(11 Posts)
twinky Wed 07-Nov-12 13:08:50

Hi, I am in the process of being registered as a childminder and had my first visit yesterday from the C.I. lady handling my application. She seemed very concerned by the fact that I have hens in my garden and wasn't very enthusiastic about them. Now I keep them in a secure walk in run so they are not running around the garden pooing every where. The coop is plastic and kept clean and when my children collect eggs they always wash their hands afterwards. Can I ask you about your setups and if there is anything I can do to reassure her. I and my kids love our hens and it would be such a shame if this became a major issue. Advice would be gratefully received thanks.

sleeplessinderbyshire Wed 07-Nov-12 13:28:11

My daughters attend a nuesery where there are chickens and this was commended in their ofsted report

SufferingLampreys Wed 07-Nov-12 13:29:17

We had chickens at our playgroup

Omlet may have information to help you

twinky Wed 07-Nov-12 13:34:32

Thanks for the rsponses ladies. To be honest I'm quite surprised as I thought there would quite a lot of potential for me to use them as part of my work. The kids friends are always fascinated by them and love taking some eggs home with them. I'll post on Omlet too.

shockedminder Wed 07-Nov-12 13:52:59

HSMM used to have them (not sure if still does) and I think it was only ever thought of as a good thing. It's a shame this lady is just seeing the negatives but that is just her opinion! smile

saintlyjimjams Wed 07-Nov-12 13:56:49

is this any help

HSMM Wed 07-Nov-12 14:22:53

I still have them. Free range chickens , ducks and rabbit. They all run around the garden with the children and the rabbit comes into the playroom for some fuss. The children pick up the hens, stroke them and collect eggs. It's never been a problem for Ofsted or parents. The children can identify a range of different poos smile

HSMM Wed 07-Nov-12 14:23:54

I have fish too, but they don't run loose in the garden !

twinky Wed 07-Nov-12 14:32:09

Thanks again for responses. I think I will just leave things as they are and hope she accepts that. As long as I'm sensible with regards to handwashing I can't see them being a major problem. I will emphasize the educational aspects a bit more.

mindingalongtime Wed 07-Nov-12 16:34:03

I have 10, Mrs O went home with 6 eggs after my inspection!

RosieGirl Wed 07-Nov-12 20:19:49

I currently have ducks and chickens, a dog and 2 rabbits, and fish in a pond with wire over the top.

I have had quails, guinea pigs, lots of rabbits. It has never been an issue, all the parents have always loved it and I have 2 Outstandings from OFSTED who also though it lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now